Where do I start?

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Never even considered ATV before (my bandwidth was too limited with so many other things going on in my life), but now I'm wondering if it might make sense as way to tame my DVD collection. I have a NAS with 4TB usable space (I can add 2TB more when required) of which less than 5% is full (go big or don't go at all!). I have two TVs in different rooms (one in the same room as my computer/NAS). I had several questions that have been bugging me as I've starting thinking about going this route before I start plunking down the cash.

1) Having never ripped a DVD into iTunes (digital downloads only), how much hard drive space does a DVD typically take?

2) Does ATV work well with full season TV episodes on multiple dvd's (thinking about finding a specific episode where you left off)

3) Hows does ATV work with surround sound (5.1)...does the ATV become just another input on the receiver (My receiver HDMI inputs are full so I would either need a different input means or a new receiver with more HDMI ports)?

4) Do I need a separate ATV for each TV?

5) Has anyone tried ripping BluRays to iTunes and playing them back through ATV? Can it even be done? How much more HD space does THAT take?

6) Any good basic tutorials out there? Google hasn't been much help...too many useless web hits to find anything good.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I can answer some but not others (ripping cannot be discussed on these forums).

3. ATV2 has an optical output and HDMI, both can be used for audio depending on what your receiver can handle. 5.1 is supported.

4. Yes. Unless you plan to move it around to where you need it.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I can answer some but not others (ripping cannot be discussed on these forums).

Seriously? I'm not asking about stealing, I'm talking about copying DVDs that I ALREADY OWN to iTunes so I can watch them on MY televisions or MY iOS devices. I don't understand why that can't be discussed here...

As it turns out, I don't think I can do this anyway because I just read that the ATV won't read from a NAS. If true, that's a deal breaker for me because I don't have the storage space an on any of my computers (I bought a NAS so I wouldn't have to...). Also if true, that's a real lack of foresight by Apple.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Seriously? I'm not asking about stealing, I'm talking about copying DVDs that I ALREADY OWN to iTunes so I can watch them on MY televisions or MY iOS devices. I don't understand why that can't be discussed here...

My understanding is that the mere fact that you own the DVD is not sufficient. The DMCA comes down strongly in favor of the content provider. In essence the fact that it was encrypted means we don't have the right to copy a DVD just because we own it DMCA Muscle Kills DVD Copying, for Real | Threat Level | Wired.com

There are some exceptions to this but they are somewhat narrowly construed. This is the most comprehensible summary I have seen recently
Judge Marshall's ruling represents a dramatic departure from the traditional understanding of the DMCA, and could have dramatic effects if it is upheld on appeal. After all, the goal of DRM is to prevent even legal purchasers of copyrighted works from making unauthorized copies of the works.
(emphasis mine)

That quote comes from an article discussing one of the few exceptions to DMCA and it was decided recently Judge suggests DMCA allows DVD ripping if you own the DVD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Discussion of DVD ripping is outlined in our rules (here). If the DVD is a commercial copy-protected DVD, we will be unable to provide support.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't rip copy-protected disks anyway.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Look into ATV Flash - one way to stream from NAS. I stream my media from 1 of 3 2TB drives on my network. I currently have 3 ATV2s and 1 ATV1 hooked up, all with ATV Flash loaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Or you can jailbreak and use XBMC. Then you'll be able to pull content direct from a NAS drive (and all tools and apps are free).

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that I've learned that "ripping" means encrypted disks, I'll re-ask my question (because that's not my intent).

I have tons of unencrypted DVDs that I would like to convert to ATV-compatible format (How's that?). I'd like to keep them at the same resolution so they look normal on a full size TV. Does anyone know what Handbrake preset would do that?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Now that I've learned that "ripping" means encrypted disks, I'll re-ask my question (because that's not my intent).

I have tons of unencrypted DVDs that I would like to convert to ATV-compatible format (How's that?). I'd like to keep them at the same resolution so they look normal on a full size TV. Does anyone know what Handbrake preset would do that?

Thanks

Ha Ha ingenious that one;D

My humble opinion is... what is the point of duplicating a semi-redundant archive into a format which will fill up more space in a different dimension? How often do you repeat watch a newly purchased DVD/Blu-Ray? They are one hit wonders aren't they, given most of the formulaic tripe that the industry churns out these days?

Why can't you just move on and buy digital for your new stuff and live with the 'old' stuff which to be honest, when it's played on decent equipment is excellent anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Ha Ha ingenious that one;D

My humble opinion is... what is the point of duplicating a semi-redundant archive into a format which will fill up more space in a different dimension? How often do you repeat watch a newly purchased DVD/Blu-Ray? They are one hit wonders aren't they, given most of the formulaic tripe that the industry churns out these days?

Why can't you just move on and buy digital for your new stuff and live with the 'old' stuff which to be honest, when it's played on decent equipment is excellent anyway?

Because data storage is cheap and playing is instantaneous instead of waiting for the dvd player to turn on, then load the menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because data storage is cheap and playing is instantaneous instead of waiting for the dvd player to turn on, then load the menu.

But what's the point if you're not going to watch your back catalogue on a daily/weekly basis..who does that..? It's like egg collecting.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have several box sets of TV series that I would like to store digitally so that my wife and I can watch them without having to mess with disks.

Some were in HD (I assume that the DVD ares full screen but 480p instead of the original HD broadcast) and some of the older ones were in the older SD (which I assume are also in 480p but letter boxed). Back to my question...does anyone know the Handbrake settings to convert them to my iTunes library in their original (dvd) resolution?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have several box sets of TV series that I would like to store digitally so that my wife and I can watch them without having to mess with disks.

Some were in HD (I assume that the DVD ares full screen but 480p instead of the original HD broadcast) and some of the older ones were in the older SD (which I assume are also in 480p but letter boxed). Back to my question...does anyone know the Handbrake settings to convert them to my iTunes library in their original (dvd) resolution?

Thanks

Hello again,

I was lightheartedly trying to help you find a way to understanding our predicament here because we are bound by forum rules about discussing your chosen subject.

About the resolutions; 480p is considered to be Enhanced-definition and at normal 4:3 output would have 640 lines horizontally as opposed to 'letterbox' being 854 lines horizontally. It sits between Standard and High formats.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.