Saving Files and Privileges...

Reaction score
Finally switched to a beautiful 24' iMac from PC, which is the good news! The bad news is that though i can open and edit any image (jpg, tiff, raw files) with Photoshop Elements 4, I can't save them as the system prompts me that i "don't have sufficient privileges". Can only Save As which is not what i want.

When i click on "Get Info" for each of these images that i can't save, i see that they're not given "read&write" access to "everyone". So if I change the privilege of each file to "read&write", then I can save in Photoshop Elements. However, I have more than 10,000 images in multiple folders and sub folders and it's a hassle to go to each folder and carry out this operation. If you select the folder and change its privileges, it does not effect the privileges of the files inside the folder! Is there any way that i can chance privileges to ALL the files in my MAC at once? Some sort of a master privilege command center???

Funny thing is that i have some word, excel files with exact same privileges as of the images, but don't face same saving problem when i edit them with Microsoft Office for Mac. So i also ask myself whether this problem is because of the privilege set up of files or capability of the program with which they're opened and edited???

Any comments welcome.

Reaction score
Sounds like you don't "own" the files. Easiest way to do this is open Terminal,
cd to the folder where the pics are, and type this:
sudo chown -R <your user name> *
Give your admin password.
Assuming you are an administrator on the computer.
Do not do this in any System folders.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks cradom but i just switched to a Mac last week and neither have the technical background nor the confidence to make such a change myself. i'm afraid of creating a bigger mess. Isn't there a way to do this without the Terminal...?

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe someone else will chime in...?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.