Pause when I go to some web sites. Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have some web sites that I access where I hit enter there is a pause of about a second or two then the page loads. After the pause the speed is ok. Just the initial start is when I get the pause. I use www.my.yahoo.com as a portal this is the site that I notice the most and annoys me the most. I'm using the newest version of Safari in OSX mountain lion.

I have opened a terminal and type in host www.my.yahoo.com. There is no pause when I do this. I changed the DNS to openDNS 208.67.222.222. Changing to this DNS did not help the pause. The MTU was set at 1500 auto. Messed with it some going down to 1472. None of this has helped.

Anyone have any ideas what I might do to correct this problem. Almost seems it is a problem with Safari.

By the way it is more than one web site that I have this problem on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before we pin this on Safari, try using another browser. It's always a good idea to have more than one browser on hand just so you can solve problems like this. Download and install either Firefox or Chrome. Both browsers setup real easy and will import all your bookmarks from Safari. Let us know.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded chrome and give it a try. It does seem to be faster and most of the hesitation is gone. I would say over all it is faster. Think my Safari is causing the problem?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you see an improvement by using Chrome, then something may be going on with Safari. The first thing is to do a reset of Safari, clear its history and cache, and then see if the speed has improved.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I reset Safari. Seemed to have no effect on the pause when opening the web sites. What's next?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I see that most often related to the ad servers a site is using that don't respond particularly quickly. Those ad servers can and do affect page load speeds.

I check that here by using Firefox - at the bottom of Firefox, it displays the url of the sites that are being accessed - including the ad servers - as they load. You'll be able to see if that site is having issues with a particular ad server.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is it only this page or another? I just loaded it here and there isn't any huge source of latency (or one that wouldn't be expected given that the page is heavy in content).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not on our site currently - only responding to the ops initial post that he is experiencing 1-2 second delays on "some" web sites.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Haha, my question was for the OP (I could have made that more clear). ;)

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it only this page or another? I just loaded it here and there isn't any huge source of latency (or one that wouldn't be expected given that the page is heavy in content).

Hi Van

It is the worst on my.yahoo.com. I use this site all day every day. It is not bad it is just annoying. However I notice it on other sites. my.yahoo.com has a lot of content and that may be it as I use it as a portal. I downloaded Chrome and there is no apparent pause. I used a terminal and entered host www.my.yahoo.com and there is no pause. I can live with it I just catch myself watching the blue bar in the address bar start up move about a quarter of an inch then stop for a bit then start again.

I would go ahead and use Chrome but. It is a 32bit browser this creates a java problem on one page that I use. The two finger scrolling is not smooth which may be more annoying than the pause. Also I would like to stay with Safari as it it built for OS X.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would go ahead and use Chrome but. It is a 32bit browser this creates a java problem on one page that I use. The two finger scrolling is not smooth which may be more annoying than the pause. Also I would like to stay with Safari as it it built for OS X.

Why don't you try Firefox? It's 64 bit and should not create any problems for you regarding java. If that works out better, just remove Chrome.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My internet where I had to move has LAG all over the place yet I clicked your URL and it was almost instant in starting to load. 10.8.5 ML here with latest Safari.

Try Firefox like Chscag suggested. See how that works. Different browsers deal differently with some sites and the way content loads.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did give Firefox a try. Have to say it is much better. Found a video on how to make it faster. I'm quite pleased with it.

Thanks for all the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.