do you think...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro
it would be wise to store "documents" and "movies" on an external hard drive and not on both an external hard drive and my iMac?

I backup movies, documents, pictures and iTunes once a month and noticed just this weekend that my iMac is getting low on space (which may explain why it's been acting funny and really slow lately) so I thought maybe if I store certain things on my XHD only, it would free up some space. I've tried deleting programs I downloaded, but never use. that didn't really seem to free up a lot of space. any other options/ideas?

I pose this to you all in hopes you may have comments or suggestions or bring up things I haven't thought about...pros and/or cons.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This seems a good plan, but don't wholly remove the Documents and Movies folder from your main user id, just add another one on the XHD. There are a lot of Mac programs (and likely Mac OS X itself as well) that assumes the presence of these folders. So my advice is to add on, don't remove.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.