• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help to load Imovie 5 on a G3 imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
slot imac700 with external DVD
Hoping someone can help me with a problem.
I have a slot loading imac 700 (cd only) with OSX 10.46 and 256 SDRAM together with an external firewire dvd reader/burner. I also have a JVC mini dv camcorder. I previously borrowed a friends imovie5 and upgraded from 4. Imovie 5 was fine and I could export to the camcorder unfortunately I lost Imovie 5 (kids fingers wiped it out) and had to use 4 again and this does not allow me to export to the camcorder. My friend no longer has the imovie 5 disc and I have had to purchase a new copy from ebay.
My problem is that when I insert the iLife 05 disc and try to install imovie 5 only, the box does not allow me to select it and the note at the bottom say that "iMovie HD requires 10.3.6 or higher and a 1 Ghz G4 or faster processor for HDV support." But reading the system requirements for iLife it says that it only requies 256 RAM and a 400 Mhz G3 is needed.
At first I thought that it may have been my screen size and resized it but that did not work.
I would really like to be able to work in iMovie 5 with titleing and export it to my camcorder and since it worked previously, I am at a loss as to what to try next....other than to spend a lot of money and get a G4!!
Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
Geoff Coulson

Reaction score
FYI you cant get a G4 for pretty cheap now adays. Also, imovie 4 does export to camcorder. Are you sure you have the latest OSX updates? Make sure you are running 10.3.9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Hmm. That's odd. My daughter's iBook G3 500 with 10.3.9 seems to run version 5 just fine. Maybe the cd you bought isn't the right one or is some special installation. I had the iMovie 5 in an app pkg separately from the basic iLife install package so maybe using that it didn't bother to check and just installed (I just dragged and dropped it into applications and it worked without asking me anything). I'm not sure if there is a utility to extract individual apps from the big install package. Maybe someone else would know.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
slot imac700 with external DVD
Got it sorted thanks......used spotlight to find all OSX files for imovie and....hold your breath.....binned them.
Loaded the ilife 5 dvd and low and behold the imovie box was available.
Now runs and also exports to the camcorder.
Thanks
Geoff Coulson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.