MSN messenger for Mac: underdeveloped?

M57

Reaction score
From what I've seen on the messenger's web site, MSN messenger for mac seems pretty basics. Is it missing any features from its Windows version? and does Microsoft update it often?

It really matters to me - all my friends are using it, so I want to make sure it does the job before the switch.

Reaction score
it's very underdevolped compared to windows live messenger

it has no: webcam, voice or games

i'd recommend either Adium or Amsn

Adium is easier to use and looks better but doesn't have webcam or voice support

Amsn is harder to set up but has webcam and limited voice support

If you don't want to use any of these features though the Microsoft version is fine

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
Wow.

I need both audio and web cam support actually.

So could this be the only program that has no alternative on mac?

is there anyway around this limitation?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wow.

I need both audio and web cam support actually.

So could this be the only program that has no alternative on mac?

is there anyway around this limitation?

The other poster told you, Amsn. It does video and audio.

It's Microsoft's fault that MSN for OSX is so behind the times.

There is also Mercury Messenger I believe that does Video chat with OSX and MSN, but Amsn is more developed.

http://www.amsn-project.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
It is shocking really. Consider how long MSN Messenger for Windows has supported Webcam and Voice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
It is shocking really. Consider how long MSN Messenger for Windows has supported Webcam and Voice.

It is not shocking at all, why would MS put resources to make a product for it's competition when instead it can hope people will stick with windows to run msn with video and audio :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree it's not shocking at all. But they just announced they were doing a new MSN Messenger with full Video and Audio support! That surprised me to be honest but all the MSN chat people should be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I'm trying hard to get friends to drop the insecure, virus infested, unstable MSN to the advantage of the rock solid Skype, but so far I've not been very successful, most people just stick with what they are used to, even if it's not the best option :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It is not shocking at all, why would MS put resources to make a product for it's competition when instead it can hope people will stick with windows to run msn with video and audio

Er, they've just released MS Office 08.

But with the same crappy Messenger included.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I agree, it should not be shocking that MSN ties to undevelope the version of MSN that they issue for the competing OS in favor of their version for Winblows. On the other hand, it should be high time for developers to produce a version of an OS messenger program that is compatible with MSN Messenger and offers both video and audio. We really need to wean ourselves of Microsoft products if more users are to take Macs and OS X as a viable alternative when they make their next computer purchase. The above mentioned issues are what gives people pause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white 2.16GHz, 2G RAM, 120G HD
I agree that MSN for Mac is very under developed, and I don't see the commerical motive for MS to develop it, so I believe it will always remain in this way.

I switched to Mac recently and use Adium as recommended by this forum, which is beautiful and work just fine (impressed few of my "PC" friends). But now I mainly use Skype which work very well for voice and video msg. Give it a try see if you like it :)

Reaction score
Amsn sucks... the program never runs smooth.. it does the webcam job right but everything is uncomfortable... i stick with the Microsoft msn for mac because i dont need webcam of voice.. and it runs very smooth

for webcam and voice you skype :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I heard that the makers of Trillian are coming out eventually with a new client called Astra.. its supposed to be for mac and windows... If I remember correctly its supposed to be highly customizable and support msn, yahoo, icq and aim among others and will support full a/v chatting

Reaction score
For some reason I always get disconnected from MSN when I use it on my iMac but I have never had this problem with my old comp which was running on Windows?! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
I heard that the makers of Trillian are coming out eventually with a new client called Astra.. its supposed to be for mac and windows... If I remember correctly its supposed to be highly customizable and support msn, yahoo, icq and aim among others and will support full a/v chatting

Cerulean Studios is working on Astra but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be released anytime soon. I purchased Trillian Pro several years ago and one thing is certain, Cerulean Studios takes forever to develop and release new products.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.