G4 Trackpad frozen, won't stay in sleep when plugged in-anyone else having this prob?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12"
My PowerBook G4 12" has been having trouble with the trackpad freezing and not coming back until I reboot. It seemed to start when I did an update a few weeks ago that included an upgrade on iTunes. When I noticed that the problem was especially bad when iTunes was was open I reinstalled iTunes and the problem went away. Unfortunately I was prompted to do another update earlier this week and the problem is back with a vengeance. As iTunes wasn't part of the update this time and everything's been fine since the reinstall I assume it's something different. I've run another update (including a security update, etc.) and have updated Firefox but the problem is still persisting. Also, (this happened before too) when the computer is plugged in, if I try to put it to sleep it will immediately wake up--if I've put it to sleep by closing it, it will just cycle through going to sleep, waking up going to sleep, waking up...

Anyone else having this problem?

In looking around on support.apple.com I found this: Your PowerBook and iBook's trackpad doesn't respond which suggests that such a problem could be related to needing to reset the PMU. However, given that it seems to be related to an update, would that make any sense? Also, the article on resetting the PMU (Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)) stresses that you should do so only as a last resort - what will happen when I reset it? How much will be affected?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12"
I forgot to subscribe for feedback so had to post this reply--sorry!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.