iMac 2.16Ghz constantly freezing

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick one. Ive had my iMac about 2 and a half years and its been great. Lately though it has been freezing alot, and in the last month at least x10 a day. I thought it may be due to the heat of the machine, but its not that as it happened when the machine is cold. The graphics seem to be playing up aswell, for instance it has loads of line across the screen? ive searched for a graphics driver update, but their doesnt seem to be one? Ive even upgraded the RAM, no luck tho:( Is this a common fault? is so what can be done?

Jay

Reaction score
Im no computer geek but can take a geuss that ur machines probly gettin old and clogged up with your stuff and god knows what else. My machine occasionaly gets like this and i cler some services etc

Works for me ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks, how do i go about clearing stuff? is it just delete or it their a special way. Most of the stuff is on my External HD tho?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
I used this video on youtube (as i said im no comouter geek)

YouTube - Speed Up Your Computer In 5 Minutes - Video 1 of 3

the guy explains it really well and it is very clear. You will find alot of stuff u never knew was there.

Also try the usual defrag and disk cleanup methods.

Your heart is in the right for helping, unfortunately we are using mac's and not Pc's. In conjunction to the issue above I am leaning toward the video card. And if for some reason if a "clog up" is at hand, disk utility and erase free space will gain more HD space. Again sounds like video issues.
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Certainly sounds like the video card, however, you could try resetting nvram and zapping the pram to see if it helps.
Also, you could try something like Macjanitor, to run routine maintenance checks, and maybe do a hardware test, as this should show up any faults.

OP
J
Reaction score
yea, theres loads free space, so i cant be that? ill try doing the pram thing. If its the video card, is that game over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
yea, theres loads free space, so i cant be that? ill try doing the pram thing. If its the video card, is that game over?

I believe as unfortunate as it sounds, the video card and lcd consume the most power from the computer so if card is on it's way out, then yes game over. If interested I can send you a trouble shooting guide. There are indicator lights on the logicboard that can confirm proper correspondence between logic and video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which machine are you currently using?

OP
J
Reaction score
Im using a 2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo iMac running OS X 10.5.7 (white machine) with 2.5GB ram, also has a 1TB Ext HD. It has a ATI Radeon X1600 card, just incase you wanted to know.

Thanks

Jay

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem. I was working on everything and even had it to the apple service for two weeks - they couldn’t find anything related to the hardware! So it was definetly the software. I had to reinstall 10.5.6 - now its stable again, still experiencing some fractals and lines, but much better. Hope for a new driver or fix of the problem with 10.5.8...

Reaction score
i am running the similar set up:
2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo iMac running OS X 10.4.11 (white machine) with 3GB ram, ATI Radeon X1600 card

and i having be experiencing the same issues. weird lines across the screen on the desktop and in safari. but more worrisome is the freezing. mostly when watch online netflix stuff.

i kinda guessed it had to be graphic card related but what can be done?

OP
J
Reaction score
BUMP.... Just wondering if anyone has found out ant new information on this. The problem is getting worse :(

Reaction score
Same here

Ack! I'm glad that someone started this thread. I will follow it and hope that someone finds a resolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.16 GHz 20" White, iBook G3 900 MHz 14", PowerMac G4 867MHz AGP Graphite, iMac G3 333MHz
I've been recently having the same issue on my 2.16 iMac- when I have safari and other applications running at the same time. It started when I updated my safari to the latest version...

Reaction score
X1600

If you, as am I, unfortunate enough to have the ati x1600, you are out of luck. My mac with the ati x1600 freezes and has lines across the screen. The PC i have, had an ati x1600, until the video card died. this may have gone onto the wrong post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.