Imac not recognising bootable USB

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this question is in the wrong place, I'm having terrific trouble trying to install Snow Leopard.
I have a blank 16gb USB, I went to Disk Utility, erased, created a GUID partition and then moved onto Restore, I selected the new USB as the Destination and the (mounted) Mac OS X Install.dmg as the Source. I clicked 'restore' and it began 'copying blocks'. This appeared to be successful after about 25 mins.

My problem occurs at this point, if I go to Startup Disk the new USB Mac OS X install shows up, if i click it and press restart it simply boots back up in Tiger. If I shut down and restart holding Alt no other option appears than the original Macintosh HD (again booting it up in Tiger). It's as if it cannot see there is a USB there at all, but as I say it does recognise it in Startup Disk.

Is there any reason that the iMac wouldn't recognise the USB? The iMac info is:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4

(not sure if this helps?). I did speak to an Apple tech support man who said there should be no problems with booting from this method (before I attempted it!).

I have been trying now for 3 days and get the same result each time!

Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand why you're trying to install Snow Leopard in this manner?

And, where did the Snow Leopard image come from? A Snow Leopard install DVD is only $29.99 purchased direct from Apple. What's the purpose of booting from a USB flash drive unless your optical drive is not working?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quickly, chscag. The story is slightly convoluted, I bought the mac last week from a Chinese chap who is moving back to China, the mac is his girlfriends (who has already moved back), the Snow Leopard .dmg file had been put onto the mac after a clean install of Tiger in case the new owner wanted to upgrade and she took the boxed copy of Snow Leopard with her. I am brand new to mac's, is this the wrong thing to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You need your own system install disc to install an operating system. And what are the details of your iMac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.