First time iPhone user

Reaction score
Hey guys new to posting on the forums (signed up 2008 but just got 7 posts)

I'm getting an iPhone today and I want to understand something about charging it for the first time. I hear some people say either:

a) connect the phone directly to the computer and charge it for X amount of hours.

or

B) use up the low amount of energy it comes with and THEN charge it for X amount of hours.

Is it A or B or none? One more thing, any tips you guys might want to suggest to keep my iPhone battery healthy?

Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When I got mine, I plugged it in to do a full restore (bought it used) to wipe away all the crap that was on there first. I then left it to fully charge and registered it before playing with it.

If you're getting a new unit and it has enough charge for you to start using, then by all means do so. Once it brings up the 20% charge remaining notification, plug it in and fully charge it.

I've tried to let the battery get down to the red before charging it fully as opposed to just leaving it charging whenever I'm not using it. You do have to kinda worry about this since the battery cannot be replaced by you. Should it get to a point where the charge is not holding, you'd need to have Apple replace the battery for you..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Your new phone probably came with enough power to play with on the way home. Then you will have it plugged into your computer for an hour or so while you set it up , then you'll play with it all night plugged into the wall charger , then you'll leave it plugged in all night , then you'll play with it so much that you'll just charge it whenever you need and the all night every night, hen in 9 months or so apple will come out with a new model and you'll wait the 3 months untill AT&T will let you up grade for cheap, then you'll start over !
Just treat it like any electronic device and you'll be fine. I started with the iPhone the week they came out. Then went to the 3g ( 2 of them) and then the 3gs and have never had to worry about having the battery replaced.

Enjoy the iPhone

OP
I
Reaction score
Alright so I can use it while I do a first time charge? Sync music, download and upload apps, stuff like that?:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
OP
I
Reaction score
haha alright. I read the article and other forums out there. Apparently what you do is use up the charge that comes out of the box and then charge it for 5 to 6 hours.

I'd really love to use it during those hours lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
haha alright. I read the article and other forums out there. Apparently what you do is use up the charge that comes out of the box and then charge it for 5 to 6 hours.

I'd really love to use it during those hours lol

You can still use it during those hours, while it's charging. Just because it's charging doesn't mean you can't use it! :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have it connected to the wall, been 6 hours already. One more question though. Can I sync my apps, music and all that stuff after fully charging the phone? It won't ruin that cycle process bs? These are the steps I'm following:

*If you notice they mention draining the battery after the first charge so it can calibrate.

iPhone Charging

Initial Charge (a few theories out there, I felt this is the safest route to go)
#1 - Buy the iPhone 3G. Do not use the iPhone 3G.
#2 - Initially charge your iPhone for 3 hours. I've read conflicting statements about this. To be safe, don't use your phone before letting it charge for 3 hours. Also, use your wall charger (avoid the computer charger).
#3 - Now it's time to calibrate your battery indicator. Let the iPhone's battery fully drain. Keep the iPhone off for five hours once drained, then fully charge your battery. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours. You may use your iPhone during this time as long as the iPhone is plugged in.
#4 - Repeat step #3 a maximum of three times if you feel your battery indicator is inaccurate.

source: iPhone 3G Battery Guide and Charging Tips - iPhone Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.