faint 'clicking' noise

Reaction score
when I press on the lower left corner of my 11inch MBA there is a faint 'clicking' noise - I wonder if the battery is slightly swollen? (under the trackpad, which I don't use) or it could be the trackpad itself

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So we are switching gears from "warm keyboard" to "mystery clicking".lol ;)

It's very hard to say if that clicking is normal or not. When the trackpad is depressed...some "clicking" is normal. So it's difficult to seperate normal clicking from abnormal clicking.

Maybe the fact that you do not use your MBA's trackpad...you're not used to the "normal clicking" sound your MBA's trackpad makes.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Another poster on another Mac forum says

'No, that would be from the bottom plate making a small snapping noise from pressing against the chassis.

The bottom plate of the Macbook Air is held in by screws and has a tight fit with the chassis. Sometimes called screw-pop from the screw being loose and making a pop sound as the plate flexes against the screw head

check for a loose screw head, if not this is normal.'

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another poster on another Mac forum says

'No, that would be from the bottom plate making a small snapping noise from pressing against the chassis.

The bottom plate of the Macbook Air is held in by screws and has a tight fit with the chassis. Sometimes called screw-pop from the screw being loose and making a pop sound as the plate flexes against the screw head

check for a loose screw head, if not this is normal.'

Everyone has an opinion. If you feel this poster is correct....followup on their suggestion...and check it out.

In any case...with the information provided in the original post...the issue could be any number of things (including being absolutely normal).

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.