Backup Solutions - Old School Macs

Reaction score
I hope this is the correct forum to place this question. I have a client who is in need of a backup option for several devices which include old school macs and a newer mac laptop, iphone 4 and ipad.

I have a couple solutions in mind but would like to find out if there might be other solutions that are less costly for the client and a lot easier for her to get a grip on.

Suggestions or then routing most through the newer mac laptop and onto an external drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a client who is in need of a backup option for several devices which include old school macs and a newer mac laptop, iphone 4 and ipad.

Depends what you mean by "old school Macs". I bet my idea of "old school" is very different.;)

Let us know approx. (or exactly) what old school Mac's we are talking about (and the OS version/versions they're running)…since this may narrow or expand the possible options.

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by "old school Macs". I bet my idea of "old school" is very different.;)

Let us know approx. (or exactly) what old school Mac's we are talking about (and the OS version/versions they're running)…since this may narrow or expand the possible options.

- Nick

Client has an old Mac desktop (Power Tower or G4), an old Mac laptop
from 2008, a new Mac Book Pro, an iPhone 4 and iPad.

G4 to me is old school since I first started using Mac in '99. I do not have Mac versions of OS from Client. But she does graphic design and needs to backup all her files from all of her devices to one solution. Was considering through newer mac os x on laptop to external drive and then everything up to Carbonite.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Client has an old Mac desktop (Power Tower or G4), an old Mac laptop
from 2008, a new Mac Book Pro, an iPhone 4 and iPad.

Are all these older computers used on a daily/regular basis…or (for example)…is the G4 desktop something that is gathering dust…and the client just wants to back up what's on the HD?

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Are all these older computers used on a daily/regular basis…or (for example)…is the G4 desktop something that is gathering dust…and the client just wants to back up what's on the HD?

- Nick

All of the devices have a lot of information stored on them, mostly
photos; the 2008 laptop's capacity is full, and the iPhone and iPad are
nearing capacity.

Customer uses her computer for a lot of graphic designing for her
business.

I would assume she uses them all, maybe not a daily basis but for some reason from time to time. I am still waiting on Client callback to confirm appt time and versions and such.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All of the devices have a lot of information stored on them, mostly
photos; the 2008 laptop's capacity is full, and the iPhone and iPad are
nearing capacity.

Customer uses her computer for a lot of graphic designing for her
business.

I would assume she uses them all, maybe not a daily basis but for some reason from time to time. I am still waiting on Client callback to confirm appt time and versions and such.

Here's what I would suggest:

1. For the older Powermac G4 desktop (if that's what model it is). If we're mostly talking photos…why not just "burn" those files to CD or DVD? Or back them up to an external hard drive.

2. For the 2008 MacBook (most likely running a newer OS version than the G4). If the hard drive on this computer is full or almost full…then it needs to be organized ASAP...BEFORE it ceases to operate. Since Mac OS X requires some free HD space to run…if the HD fills up…the computer will be inoperable. Thus…non-needed files (not everyday types files)..need to be backed up. Either via "Time Machine", burning files to CD or DVD, or backing them up individually on an external HD.

3. Same answer for the newer MacBook Pro. Use Time Machine, burn files to CD or DVD, backup files individually to an external HD, or some sort of online storage solution.

4. The Apps. on the iPhone & iPad are "backed up" (in a sense) via the Mac App Store…from the previous purchases area.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Here's what I would suggest:

1. For the older Powermac G4 desktop (if that's what model it is). If we're mostly talking photos…why not just "burn" those files to CD or DVD? Or back them up to an external hard drive.

2. For the 2008 MacBook (most likely running a newer OS version than the G4). If the hard drive on this computer is full or almost full…then it needs to be organized ASAP...BEFORE it ceases to operate. Since Mac OS X requires some free HD space to run…if the HD fills up…the computer will be inoperable. Thus…non-needed files (not everyday types files)..need to be backed up. Either via "Time Machine", burning files to CD or DVD, or backing them up individually on an external HD.

3. Same answer for the newer MacBook Pro. Use Time Machine, burn files to CD or DVD, backup files individually to an external HD, or some sort of online storage solution.

4. The Apps. on the iPhone & iPad are "backed up" (in a sense) via the Mac App Store…from the previous purchases area.

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks Nick, will keep these ideas in mind when onsite consulting the client. Still open to any ideas anyone has, maybe I can combine a combination of many ideas, thanks to any who responds :)

OP
Z
Reaction score
I now have the versions:

Mac Mini running Lion

Mac G4 Tower running 10.4.11

2008 Macbook Pro running 10.5.8

Newer Macbook Pro running 10.7.5

My guess is still that if she backed up her iphone and ipod to her newer macbook pro then backed up all of the other solutions to a time machine drive or any other external drive she could easily backup everything with unlimited data storage to Carbonite for only $99 a year.

But, still open to other suggestions :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.