Issue with Macbook (sleep mode!)

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here so this is my first post!!

I have an annoying issue with my white macbook 13" (2009) laptop. When I turn the laptop on the screen only stays on for around 1-2 seconds then it turns off again (like it goes into sleep mode). If I then wake it again it will again do the same.

Eventually by repeating this I can eventually get it to log in. I then checked all energy saving settings to ensure the standby time was not set to something very low- all fine in there. I then did a full restart hoping this might help. Again no joy there. I have tried reseating the laptop parts (HDD, Ram, battery etc). None of which has made the any difference. :Angry:

The laptop is unsuable in its current state but I'm convinced it can't be anything too serious as the laptop is on working etc just that it only stays on for a few seconds after you bring it out of standby\sleep mode. I also tried to start it in diagonistic mode which did not work.

Its out of warrenty and I really want to avoid spending serious money on repairs as I'm aiming to sell it to get a Macbook Pro! Any ideas people?

Many Thanks in advance!

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks for the advice.

I just tried this and still the same as before. Any other suggestions?

OP
H
Reaction score
PS this is started after a tried to run a firmware update- probally should have mentioned that before!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of firmware update? Firmware updates can be dangerous as they actually perform "brain surgery" on your machine. And especially dangerous if they fail to install properly or are the wrong type of update for your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.