Airport Utility Can't Find Router????

Reaction score
EDIT: Sorry, I just realized there's an internet/wireless/connection forum on here, which is more appropriate for this question. I'd delete if I knew how

I've googled this problem and have been reading a lot on it (including on this forum), but all the cases mentioned seem to be dealing with Airport Express or Extreme which I don't believe is not my case.

So my problem is that out of nowhere my internet just suddenly slowed down. Google searches still load pretty quick, sites like this forum are a bit slower, but when it comes to video/audio streaming or downloading, its become ridiculously slow (downloading a 1pg PDF normally takes a few seconds, now takes a couple minutes, youtube videos take forever to load etc.). I tried some things like changing my DNS server numbers like said in another thread, but nothing has worked.

Its been suggested to change wifi channels which has potential to solve the prob, but i cant change them because I can't access the router through my AirPort Utility. That is what I'm trying to do right?...access my router then change the channel?

The router used here is an Asus RT-N16. And I am connected to my network and online, so why does Airport Utility say it's not finding any wireless devices???

I did also try connecting the ethernet cable (the one that looks like a phone jack right?) from the modem then from the router direclty to my laptop but still no find.

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.7

Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I merged your threads. Please only post one post on the same subject and do not cross post in more than one forum. Thank you!

Just read your thread. Missed that you posted accidentally in the wrong forum. Anyway the other thread is gone.

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh I see thanks!

So I need to look up the URL...how? and then what? Basically what steps do I need to take to try and change wifi channels considering I don't have Airport Extreme/Express or TC?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oh I see thanks!

So I need to look up the URL...how? and then what? Basically what steps do I need to take to try and change wifi channels considering I don't have Airport Extreme/Express or TC?

What is the brand and Model of your router? Tell me and I will find the IP for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try 192.168.1.1 and password admin

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok yeah when I'm in Network preferences that 192.168 # is the one it shows for my router.

Now I just don't know how to go about changing wifi channels

really appreciate the help so far by the way

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Put that into a Web Browser with the router plugged into the computer.

For username and password it's admin for both in all lower case.

Many say that is a very good router. Looks like it.

That will get you to the configuration.

OP
E
Reaction score
dang. for some reason the admin/admin username and pw don't work. i tried the network name and pw we use to connect to our network but didnt work either. ill have to ask the guy who lives here. i just moved in a couple weeks ago (internet was working fine until couple days ago though). yesterday he said web browsing was working fine on his comp but videos were a bit choppy. ill ask him tomorrow and see how it goes.

thanks for the help. ill prob be back soon

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your roommate probably changed the defaults. A wise thing to do. Ask them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.