"A valid Classic environment was not detected." Please advise!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 640Gb HD, 8Gb iPod (thanks son!)
"A valid Classic environment was not detected. Support for running this Adobe application as a Classic application will not be installed. To add Classic support, specify a Classic environment, then rerun installer."
Huh? I'm new to Mac so I have no idea what this means. The install icon said VICE not dmg.
I'm trying to do is install an older version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 that I used in Windows as the install disc also has a Mac version as well that is about 5-6 years old. Shortly after the install began the above message appears.
How do you add "Classic support"?

I'm running Leopard 10.5.7 on a new iMAC, 2.66 Intel w/ 4Gb of RAM.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Classic means Pre OSX. Back in the days of OS9 and before. Leopard no longer supports running the older Mac OS9 as Classic. If it did it would be just like Windows with support for DOS back from the early 1980's which does nothing but slow the OS down with all that old code from the old days. Older versions of OSX allowed you to run the older Mac OS as Classic to run the older applications designed for the old Pre OSX OS.

In other words, your older Photoshop Elements will no longer run on a modern Mac and modern OSX version. Sorry.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 640Gb HD, 8Gb iPod (thanks son!)
Bummer! :eek: Upgrade to PSE 6 is $70, but there's little difference from v2 - v6. Times change & it was worth a try! Time to update!
Thanks.

Reaction score
"A valid Classic environment was not detected. Support for running this Adobe applica

"A valid Classic environment was not detected. Support for running this Adobe application as a Classic application will not be installed. To add Classic support, specify a Classic environment, then rerun installer."
Huh? I'm new to Mac so I have no idea what this means. The install icon said VICE not dmg.
I'm trying to do is install an older version of Photoshop 2.0 that I used in Windows as the install disc also has a Mac version as well that is about 5-6 years old. Shortly after the install began the above message appears.
How do you add "Classic support"?Elements
Please walk me through on what I need to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.