Time Machine

Reaction score
Can anyone help with a little TM issue. I have set up an external backup drive and running TM OK. When I open TM I have all the restore dates listed on the right-hand side that correspond to the frames disappearing into the Time Tunnel. I cannot actually select one of the back up dates on the right and therefore cannot restore settings. I am not needing to restore, I just want to check everything works. I have only done one complete back up and two incremental ones. Is it just that the system has not changed enough to warrant restoring anything??
Running Snow Leopard 10.6 with iPhoto 09. I have been told to upgrade to iPhoto 11?
Go easy on me. I'm very much a Mac novice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Have you waited long enough once you entered Time Machine.
I have found that it takes about a minute ( Wireless ) before I can select a date and go back in time.
You can also check your backups by entering the Time Machine disk using the finder and browse through the sparsebundle fille.

Mind you .... do not use the finder to restore individual files/folders from Time Machine.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
similar problem to mine

I have an external HD onto which I back up with time machine. I've used it in the past and restored mails to MAIL and photos to iphoto OK, including samples this morning before I started...

The MAC had become slower and slower so I followed "advice" and backed up everything then reinstalled and erased osx, took all the updates and reinstalled ILIFE and WORKS from disc. All the applications work.

Went to put the data back and most of the backups are not selectable (they are all there) The back ups before april 2011 are selectable but the dozen or so later ones are not!

If you can avoid laughing at me (eg advice from whom..)

is there a way to put the photos music and mail back from the folders visible on yesterdays back up?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.