Restoring to 10.6.7 from 10.5.8 clean install

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just purchased a used MacbookPro with 10.6.7 off of craigslist and wanted to do a clean install to make sure nothing 'nasty' (i.e. malware, keylogger, etc) was left behind from the previous owner. I set up a time machine backup on a windows drive and backed everything up that way with no issues. I wanted to make sure that I would be able to keep all the programs he had installed (all legal copies) as it was one of the main selling points of the laptop.

Not realizing that the only discs he included with the the MBP were install discs for 10.5.2, and nothing else, I formatted and did not do a restore from backup as I wanted to choose specific apps to install to make sure no other settings from him were transferred over. As I was going through the install process I still did not know that I was installing 10.5.2, until now when I looked at the original screen shots from the sale that show 10.6.7.

Is there any easy way to get myself out of this pickle? I'd like to be back at 10.6.7 with all of the apps installed, but none of his settings or information on the computer.

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While all those apps may have been legal when bought and installed, they are no longer legal if the seller kept all the discs &/or serials for installing on their next computer instead of passing them all to you.

If part of the purchase price included the consideration of the apps on the machine, contact the seller and get those discs or return it to them as they're essentially charging you for what are now pirated apps.

If you're not going to do that, then your next step is to go out and purchase a legal copy of Snow Leopard to install. You are not going to selectively (via drag and drop) restore any application from backup that had an installer - i.e. MS Office, Adobe products, etc. Some of them are likely to quit working the first time they phone home for updates if they have already been activated on another machine somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.