Macbook Pro thinks I'm inserting blank DVDs

Reaction score
I have many old pictures stored on DVDs.
I have successfully retrieved them from these DVDs for a number of years.
However, I inserted one today and my Macbook Pro told me it was a blank disk.
I inserted all the other and got the same message.
They certainly aren't blank.
I'm wondering what could have happened.
I don't know if the fact that I upgraded to 10.6.8 about three months ago is significant.
Other than that I don't know what to think.
Is it just a fault with the player?
Am I doing something ridiculously stupid?
Any help gratefully received.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does it recognize commercial CD/DVDs? If it doesn't recognize those either, depending on the age of the MBP, the optical drive might have failed and you'll have to replace it..

Reaction score
If ur lucky, its just needs a cleaning, one of those disc cleaner with tiny brushes maybe? Other sounds like a drive replacement is in order.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.
I just tried City of God in there and it works.
Although my partner says she has tried plenty of CDs that don't work.
Sounds like it may need a clean?
Although I'm wondering why it reads City of God but not my DVD's with photos on.
Worried!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is City of god a DVD or CD?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for sticking with this.
It's a dvd.
My photos are on DVD and CD and neither are working. Computer thinks they are blank.
It has trouble reading lots of music CDs.
I have just tried a number of DVDs which worked fine, 1 music CD which the computer spat out, 4 blank DVDs with photos on. Three weren't read (one of those is still in the computer and wont come out) and one DVD with a film I burnt onto it ages ago which again wasn't read.
I guess it's safe to say it's having trouble with DVD disks that are old, and a few music CDs which can be new.
Maybe I should try cleaning it as suggested?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Cleaning is probably the cheapest thing you an try and if that doesn't work, a new optical drive is your only recourse..

Reaction score
Your photos? that sounds like a home-burn disc. So once upon a time they made a 3-laser drive to deal with the different disc formulations. So maybe one of the laser has gone bad/dark. Stick your vacuum cleaner's sucker by the door.

OP
B
Reaction score
I bought a cleaner and it certainly helped. It now recognises there are files on the disk.
But it wont download them to iphoto.
The rainbow of death just keeps spinning.
It's no disaster, I can take the DVDs to another computer and put them on a stick.
But thanks for all the advice. It seems to me the player is a bit old and worn and just isn't reading certain disks any more, especially old ones I burnt.
thanks again for all the help. it's much appreciated and people like you ar why these forums are so **** helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.