• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Remote STRESS TEST

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Just in case anyone was pondering the durability of their little six button Apple Remote...

I was retrieving my laundry this morning and noticed, after I had removed all of the clothes from the machine, that there sat my macbook's quaint remote control.

With a lot of dread, I gingerly picked it up and visually inspected it for damage. No blemishes or signs of structural damage could be found, even though it had made it through a "heavy duty" wash cycle and 50 minutes of high heat and rapid rotational drying.

I brought it back to my room and pressed the menu button, expecting not a thing to happen. To my surprise, Front Row promptly appeared!

Good on you Apple, making your remote durable enough to withstand even my stupidity :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Those Chinese really know how to make um....

Wait, what?

:p

Cool story though. I'm always afraid of my cat getting stuck in the washer/dryer. I don't think he would be as durable as your remote...

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't test your cat idea :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
haha, I'm always scared I'm going to drop a knife on my cats. I'm always cutting meat (steak, ham, turkey) in the kitchen and they stand right under waiting for a piece.

Back on Topic:
I'm just waiting for the day someone in my family puts one of our iPods through the cycles. Ugh, that'll be the day I die.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Actually that will be the day your iPod dies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Actually that will be the day your iPod dies.

haha. One of my friends put her nano through the washer and drier (blonde) and she took it out and it still worked! Before I had my iPhone, I had a RAZR and it went through and didnt come out very nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
My 30gig 5G video went through the wash & it came out just fine. Unfortunately my keyless entry remote for my VW GTI fell into a puddle & it hasn't worked in over a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
My iPod nano went in the wash... didn't work afterwards. I have a front loading washer/dryer and they are AGRESSIVE. I opened it up to discover the logic board was torn in half (could see the inside of a few chips) and all wiring was destroyed.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jeez iRye, can you wash anything less sturdy than chain maille in that thing without it getting torn in half?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.