powermac g5

Reaction score
im looking at some powermac g5s. id like to run boot camp but i have read where you need a intel processor. do all g5s come with intel processors. right now im using a powermac g4 digital audio with 533 cpu, 1.5 gb ram and dual 80 gb hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No they do not. Early Powermac G5's and iMac G5's were PPC (power p c). Go to a site such as everymac.com or mactracker and find out which models are Intel.

M

MacHeadCase

What might be confusing you is that the Intel-based Mac Pro and the Power Mac G5 kept the same casing.

The G in G5 stands for the PowerPC chip generation, hence the G5 was generation number 5 of the PowerPC chip, the first one being the 601 chip found in the old 6100 Macintosh.

Here's a complete rundown on the PowerPC chip's first two generations (with links at the bottom to the G3, G4 and G5 chips).

OP
H
Reaction score
well that explains why the g5 go for under $1200.00 and the macpro is over $3000.00

M

MacHeadCase

And Boot Camp only runs on Intel-based Macs, it won't work on PowerPC Macs.

OP
H
Reaction score
well im one of those that bought virtual pc and tried running it on my g4, it was so slow that i finally uninstalled it. and i tried every setup that i could find on every site to try to make it run faster so i kinda like the fact that the macpro will run windows faster than a dell or gateway, and its a mac.

OP
H
Reaction score
also if i bought a macpro would i be able to use the monitor and keyboard from my powermac g4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
VPC is a s-l-o-w old program and really only good for running say sales data that are not available to a Mac. Even with a Macpro I do not know if Boot Camp would be as fast as say a PC for gaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
well that explains why the g5 go for under $1200.00 and the macpro is over $3000.00

Mine was $2360. I bought it refurbished which is a better way to go in my opinion over a brand new Mac. I've bought 3 refurbished Macs, never had a problem.

also if i bought a macpro would i be able to use the monitor and keyboard from my powermac g4

Yes. If you bought a Mac Pro, it comes with a new mouse and keyboard. (You can use your old set if it's USB.) The Mac Pro also comes with an adapter if you're using VGA. If you're using an older Apple LCD with an ADC, you will need to buy an adapter.

Why a Mac Pro and not an iMac or a Mini? Not that the Pro is bad computer, it's amazing, you can run Windows on any new Apple computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.