US iPhone 4s in Europe

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help. Husband and I are going to London and Paris. I have been tasked with dealing with details.

Our wireless is AT&T. I have a 4s that is now (legally) unlocked. Husband's 4s is not unlocked (still under contract). We have a 3G (no phone number currently associated with it anymore, just a sim card in it) that we are trying to get (legally) unlocked and awaiting confirmation from AT&T.

What are our options for using my 4s and the 3G on vacation, with details?

1) Buy international package from AT&T for both phones.

2) Buy sim cards and plans upon arrival in each country. Is this difficult?

If we buy sim cards, what happens to our phones? The contacts, the bookmarks, apps, anything in pages and notes, etc.

C

chas_m

Call AT&T and press them to unlock your husband's 4S. If he's been a customer of theirs longer than six months, they should be willing to do it. If they say no, ask for customer retention and tell them flat out you're both going to change carriers at the end of his contract if they don't unlock his iPhone. They will charge a fee for it, but they'll probably agree to do it.

As for your question regarding changing sim cards, no data on the phone will be affected. The only thing stored on the AT&T sim card is the US phone number of the device.

I travel between the US and Canada all the time and use a carrier-unlocked iPhone 4. The policy in Canada is that you only have to be a customer of the carrier for 90 days to get the iPhone unlocked, and I believe several of the US carriers have much the same policy, so AT&T hasn't got a leg to stand on there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.