PM9600 System Error Type -127

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Our PM9600 was working just fine, until this morning. It started to boot, loaded all the extensions, then the bomb!! System error type -127.

I tried rebooting several times, same problem. Tried booting from Norton, Tech Tool Pro, and Disk Warrior, but the same error appears. I tried holding down the S key to turn off extensions, and also held down the C key to start from the CDs, but didn't work.

Any ideas? Is this PM toast? What can I do to get it to boot and try using a disk utility application?

-- Jim
+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Reaction score
Error code 127 is HFS errors,sounds like your hard drive crashed. Likey cause of
system crashes are extension conflicts and buggy or corrupted software. Good
luck.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Error code 127 is HFS errors,sounds like your hard drive crashed. Likey cause of
system crashes are extension conflicts and buggy or corrupted software. Good
luck.

I cracked open the 9600 .... The inside was already very clean!! I reseated the RAM, took the PRAM battery from my dead 7300 and replaced the dead PRAM battery in the 9600. Installed two HDs from my dead 7300, and added the USB card from the 7300. Also, took the RAM from the 7300 and added to the 9600, so now there should be 584MB of RAM on the 9600.

Put everything together .... Now the 9600 does boot .... One of the previous problems seems to be the CD-ROM ... Not sure, but maybe it is not connected internally correctly? That probably explains why I couldn't boot from any of the CDs!!! I will need to open up the 9600 and change the plug for the CD-ROM to see if that works.

I'm running Disk Warrior from another internal HD (from my original G3 Blue & White, which is dead). Seems to be working ok. I need to figure out how to get the CD-ROM working, so I can try booting up from DiskWarrior, Norton, or TechTool Pro, and run the disk utilities and repairs.

I'd like to get a new, small HD (40-60GB, IDE?) for this 9600, maybe even a new SCSI HD (6-9GB?). Any suggestions??

-- vjmacaddict
+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Reaction score
Wow! Thats the way to do it. For IDE you need a pci ide/66 card that works
in a Mac.You may have to look on Ebay as well for SCSI drives that size are
really cheap now. You may need a new SCSI Cd drive or the SCSI id for the drive is not set right. Also when you add Extra SCSI Hard drives you must move the jumper to change the id number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.