Memory Upgrade

Reaction score
I have a 13" Macbook which I bought in October of 2007. I want to upgrade the memory, but I'm not sure what to buy or what my machine can handle (the internets can be very confusing). Can't seem to find a place that spells it out and this forum has been helpful to me in the past.

It currently has:

2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I'm running Snow Leopard and the HD is 120G, with about 67G free.

I think I found the right memory from Kingston, but like I said it's a bit confusing to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Very helpful. I bookmarked that site pronto.

Before I buy, do you have any opinion about 2G vs. 3G? Will it be appreciably faster with 3? My most used programs are MS Word, Photoshop CS, Toast, and the aforementioned internets.

What prompted this was Firefox completely hogging my memory. I'm going to try Chrome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
do you have any opinion about 2G vs. 3G?
Guess you mean 2 GB RAM versus 3 GB RAM - everything i have seen says more is better, but like most things it comes back to what is available and what you can afford and how you use your Mac. If you are like me and have a number of apps running at the same time, especially including those heavy hitters you mentioned then go for 3 GB.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll go with 3.

And I noticed you're in Napier. I spent six weeks in NZ back in 1994. Unfortunately, the one place my friend and I didn't explore was the East Coast of the North Island. I'm a ways off, in New York, but one day I'll get back to your neck of the woods. Can you send me some green mussels in the meantime?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
When upgrading your ram, keep in mind one thing - the computer only has 2 memory slots.

You said you currently have 1Gb of ram and I presume it's split into a pair of 512Mb memory sticks installed in 2 memory slots. So, when you want to upgrade your memory, you have to replace these, since you can't just add on another 1Gb stick and have 2Gb in total - the computer only has 2 slots available.

I'm not so sure about using 3Gb of ram, I would prefer using either 2x1Gb or 2x2Gb ... but then ddr2 might not support dual channel (can any1 confirm this?) so using 2+1Gb might work for you

Hopefully I am making some sense to you :)

OP
W
Reaction score
No worries, Scathe. You are making sense and thanks for the note.

I read about that issue and it doesn't seem to be a problem having 1 Gb in one slot, and 2Gb in the other. I could have gone 2x2, but I'm trying to save some $$$. Plus I think tripling the memory will be enough to get me through to my next Macbook. And by that time, maybe 8Gb will be standard!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I completely agree that tripling memory will be enough, no doubt there :) My point was just to be aware of the fact that you need to replace your current modules with new ones; along with some rambling on the side :D

It's just I prefer to have pairs of identical memory ... you can only imagine compatibility issues with memory I recently had to upgrade in a server :)
(crucial.com is a great resource for ram compatibility btw)

Anyway, enjoy your memory upgrade, you should see a considerable boost in performance! 1 gig is next to nothing these days, you still have a decent laptop though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.