Which is better £ for £ ?

S

simon1

I will use my new (and 1st) apple for surfing, iphoto's, itunes, word processing and gaming. Should it be an ibook with 640 ram or a powerbook 12"/15". Buying a 15" will strech my money to the limit.

Cheers,

Simon

OP
K

kjellquist

I think it will depend on how hard your gaming will push the machine...

I am buying a 12" 800Mhz iBook fully maxed out and it should be more than I need for home activities and telecommuting. I am not a gamer though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
ibook is a nice laptop for people who do word procesing, web administration and other basic stuff. meny graphics programs also work pretty nice. you can handle 50 meg photoshop file without noticable speed drops. but i would not recomend it for gaming. i em not saying you will have problems, but will be hard to play with high resolution. powerbook 12" is much much better (and much expencive :)) it is not just 800 mgHz vs 1GHz, the key difference is L2 cache which is doubled on powerbook. also RAM is much faster.
and do not forget about DVI too.
well anyway, youll have to evaluate your needs vs expence. if you are not very demanding gamer, ibook is just perfect, i meen quality vs prise
good luck

OP
Z

Zapple

Go for the 12"powerbook, allthough I have a 12"ibook, it wokrs for me! I do the same stuff, but if you really want the power, go POWERbook, hints hints, ;) lol

OP
T

tmjf_sifu

[ also RAM is much faster.]

actually, the ram in the 12" pb runs at the same speed as the ram in the ibooks.

OP
J

jonnyturner

yeah i agree, if you want to game then buy or build a cheap pc cos you wont have much joy on a mac, especially not a laptop.

id go for the ibook 12 or 14, it will run all the other stuff like a dream. the extra memory makes a world of difference too ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
(actually, the ram in the 12" pb runs at the same speed as the ram in the ibooks)

sorry bud! thats just not true i book runs 133 mghz SDRAM, when PB has 266 mghz DDR SDRAM. so its not the same. the bus speed is doubled

OP
R

rjtedge

well it it was me I would get the ibook and not so much ram maybe 512 as will not be needed for surfing, iphoto's, itunes, word processing and get a pc laptop for the gaming thats what i do but have a emac not ibook. remember you wont need the word prossecing, music programs, or photo editing tools on the pc to save money.

OP
J

jonnyturner

Quote,

"(actually, the ram in the 12" pb runs at the same speed as the ram in the ibooks)

sorry bud! thats just not true i book runs 133 mghz SDRAM, when PB has 266 mghz DDR SDRAM. so its not the same. the bus speed is doubled"

***Youve got that wrong mate, sorry!! the ibook (G4 only) runs on DDR266 memory, so is therefore the same as the powerbook. Trust me, ive got one and have bought memory for it! to my knowledge, the Emac is the only mac that is still in production that uses SDRAM, all the new stuff uses DDR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
yea!
I guess youre right, I ve checked the tech specs again. its same as 12" PB.
well, I ve more respect to iBook now:)

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

i really WANT an ibook, but i find this, the cheapest mac laptop, very expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.