Album art in iTunes? The increase in file size is huge...why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
I just noticed this right now. Basically I'm in the process of converting my entire collection to iTunes file structure/format and am reembedding artwork. I've been using google and I can find a file that's approximately 125 kb's (600 x 600) and DRAG the file from the safari window into either the album art box in the left hand corner and/or the get info box and the size of the files will increase significantly.

For instance, I grabbed a 135 kb album artwork for Adele 21 and it jacked up the size of the album by 10 mb's. Alternatively, if I save that file directly to my computer and drag it, as a file, into that same box, the size of the album only increases proportionate to the size of the file so 135 kb's x 16 songs (approximately 2 mb's).

Is there a reason fro the difference? Does this have to do with iTunes converting the file to png if dragged from the safari window.

I was purposely avoiding higher quality artwork cause the file sizes were increasing so significantly. I was more worried downstream when I dragged these albums to my iPhone.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. If this is the route that I have to go then that's fine with me. I'll proceed with saving each individual file and going about it that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.