Do I have some malware???

M

MatCan

Hello,

I have recently started to get the following popup message in Safari:

"Popup blocking software has prevented display of the Trend Micro Security Services dashboard. Open an Internet Explorer window and enter the following URL in the Address box: http://tmss.trendmicro.com/dashboard."

Now, I dont use IE, Ive not installed anything to do with Trend Micro, I've cleared the cache and history but this message is appearing quite regularly...

If I go to the link I get forwarded to the following page:

http://tmss.trendmicro.com/Dashboard/en-us/dashboard/first_error_10.aspx

My housemate has also just installed a new wireless router: a d-link DI-624M which appears on the above link. Surely the router isnt creating the popup is it?!

Can anyone offer any solutions or shed any light on the problem???

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This sounds like something that is happening regularly because you are regularly visiting a specific site that is causing this. Can you tie this occurance to regularly visiting a new site that you did not used to?

The message seems a dead giveaway. You are using Safari but it is assuming that like 90% of users, IE is the browser. Hence, this is LIKELY a fairly dumb piece of HTML on a web site, not something stuck in Safari or your Mac.

Also, the fact that it asks you to visit a specific site sounds VERY suspicious. This looks like a an attempt to get you to go somewhere where you can get REALLY infected. Steer clear!!

OP
M

MatCan

That was my first thought but it will popup on just about any site that I visit, including searches on Google...

OP
M

MatCan

I have cleared the cache and all the cookies but its still appearing, even when the only site I navigate to after Ive done all that, is Apple.com... anyone got any more ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Is there any way to bypass the new router just to check if it is behind this? Also, as dumb as this sounds, have you tried disabling pop up blocking on Safari just to see what ..ahem... pops up? There is a setting under Safari's Preferences, Security to enable/disable pop up blocking. It *could* be the router... that seems to be all else that has changed recently in your environment, right?

OP
M

MatCan

Turns out it is the router.

I got the same popup on my Powerbook without really visiting any of the usual sites and my housemate mentioned that she gets it on her computer too and that the router has something to do with Trend anyway (not sure what tho).

What a stupid thing to set on a router!!!

Now just have to get my other ousemate to disable it somehow...

Thanks for the replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.