iMac stuttering and and doing strange things!

Reaction score
Recently, my iMac has started to stutter when I'm doing anything, e.g playing a movie file, it starts stuttering, and then the video will stop while the audio continues...

In Logic, it won't play a song, starts OK, then starts stuttering, then comes to a stop.....

In general use, the cursor will not move smoothly, when I move my mouse, it jumps across the screen, missing out all the space between....

When I reboot, it's ok for a few minutes,then starts, and gets gradually worse until I need to reboot again.

It started a few weeks ago, but is gradually getting worse, to the stage where I can't do much on my mac.

iMac 24", 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 DDR2 Ram, 1TB HD.

Also, I've repaired disk permissions, to no avail.

Any advice appreciated please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Recently, my iMac has started to stutter when I'm doing anything, e.g playing a movie file, it starts stuttering, and then the video will stop while the audio continues...

In Logic, it won't play a song, starts OK, then starts stuttering, then comes to a stop.....

In general use, the cursor will not move smoothly, when I move my mouse, it jumps across the screen, missing out all the space between....

When I reboot, it's ok for a few minutes,then starts, and gets gradually worse until I need to reboot again.

It started a few weeks ago, but is gradually getting worse, to the stage where I can't do much on my mac.

iMac 24", 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 DDR2 Ram, 1TB HD.

Also, I've repaired disk permissions, to no avail.

Any advice appreciated please.

Hi, it seems a strange one. I would firstly power down and remove the power lead and check it for nicks and creases and make sure that it is seated correctly when you reboot. If you can...swap it out for one that you have borrowed from someone.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, thanks for that.

I couldn't see any dirt etc. on any contacts, but I've replaced the power cable with another. I'll do some work, see how it runs, and post back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If that does not help, open Disk Utility in Utilities and check the Hard Drives SMART Status at the bottom? Does it say Passed or Failed? I have seen some of your symptoms when the hard drive is starting to die.

OP
S
Reaction score
You're a genius!! Replaced the power cable, and all seems well! Many Thanks.

Also thanks dtravis7, checked the status, VERIFIED, so I hope all is well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
You're a genius!! Replaced the power cable, and all seems well! Many Thanks.

Also thanks dtravis7, checked the status, VERIFIED, so I hope all is well.

Well that's made my day after a terrible round of golf!! :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.