Files "Open With"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi All,

How do I set PDF files that I'm downloading to "Open With" Adobe Reader and not the Apple "Preview" program.

In Finder I can select a PDF and do Get Info, then select Open With, but the "Change All" button under "Open With" is greyed out.

Ideas?

Thx

Joe

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I set it to open with a different program, and exit of the info window. Go back in and see if you can change it back again and see it you can get the "Change All" button back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm not exactly sure what benefit there is to using Acrobat Reader instead of Preview. It's much, much slower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I'm not sure why yours would remain grey. My begins as grey, but once I select a different application from the drop-down list, the button becomes active and I am able to "Change All".

Also, another thing you might not be aware of is a plug-in called PDF Browser Plugin from Schubert|it. It's a wonderful plug-in that allows you to view PDF's right in your browser window, rather than having to download and open them.

PDF Browser Plugin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Personally, I agree with just using Apple preview

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Yes, me too. Acrobat Reader just takes too much time to open...

And install the PDF-plugin that Padawan suggested. It enables you to open PDFs right in Safari, instead of first downloading them and then open.
It's free for personal use.

That way of PDF-handling should be integrated into Safari, in my opinion...it's one of it's biggest lacks.

Did you check if the PDF you can't change in the Info-panel is read-only? In that case, you first need to set it to read-write-access before changing the default program to open it.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi All,

Went in and set the PDF to Open With Preview, then went back and set it to Adobe Reader and was able to set for all. But when I do a download and have the option to Save or Open, Open is still set to Preview.

I use Firefox as a browser, not Safari, anyone know of a Reader Plug-In for Mac OS X Firefox? Why do I want to use Adobe Reader, I like it better, besides I use it on different platforms.

Thx,

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Avalon said:
That way of PDF-handling should be integrated into Safari, in my opinion...it's one of it's biggest lacks.

It's coming in Safari 2.0 :)

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found this on the Firefox Extensions page,

https://update.mozilla.org/extensio...0&os=Windows&numpg=10&category=Download Tools

==============================================
OpenDownload 0.2.1

Allows you to open any file from the internet into the OS assigned program.
==============================================

This seems to bring the Firefox functionality that was missing. Now when it opens PDF's it selects the the program that is set in the OS.

Thx ,

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.