Compatible memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 17" G4 Power Book
Hi,

I've got a 17" 1.67 powerbook and I've been having problems trying to upgrade to 2Gb of memory.

I got the stock 512 with the PB and then ordered another 1Gb from Crucial and all seemed well with the 1.5 Gb on board.
This module from Crucial has 8 chips on either side (16 in total)

About 3 months ago I ordered another 1Gb module and fitted it to bring the PB up to 2Gb and then the fun :( started.....

(The new module has only 4 chips on each side 8 in total)

At boot the machine seemed OK, About this Mac showed 2 Gb on board (so far so good) but system profiler said that I had 2Gb on one slot and the other was empty.... and then I had a kernal panic

I swapped the memory in the slots and tried again and the same thing happened. I did some combination tests and the new memory always caused trouble. With just the new module the machine would not boot. So I sent the module back and got another one. This was no better..... I got a refund and I am still running with 1.5Gb.

Crucial tested the second module and reported that it was OK.

I eventually took the PB to Apple and got the main board tested with 2Gb on board and it passed.
So.......
Did Crucial send me the wrong memory twice (I've just looked on the web site and they are still selling the 4 chip per side module)?
Did I order the wrong module?

SP reports that the first 1Gb module I bought is
SODIMM0/J20STANDARD:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: PC2-4200S-444

and Crucial specify their proposed module as

# Module Size: 1GB
# Package: 200-pin SODIMM
# Feature: DDR2 PC2-4200
# Specs: DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

If I look on the apple website the memory for this PB has 8 chips per side (but is 4 times the price of the module from Crucial!!!) :$

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.