New HD not showing full capacity

D

dijerydack

Im using an emac 700 running os x 10.3.9. I just upgraded the Hd to a samsung 120gig but disk utility only recognises it as 31.5 gig . Anyone kknow how to get it to appear full size? One thing I should mention... I set the jumper setting to the same position as the original drive and I have the original drive hangin out the ram port plugged into the optical drive cables (When I get the new drive wotkin Im gonna do a carbon copy of the old drive) The original drive has its original jumper setting and the computer boots from the original drive.

Reaction score
Check that both disks are in disk utility, if both are there try and format the new one to it's maximum capacity, maybe it's formatted wrongly and not being recognised.
If that doesnt work then i'd guess that the jumper settigns need to be different to to original. The top of the hard drive casing should say how you need to set the jumpers so it is set as slave or something similar.

OP
D

dijerydack

yeah it shows up in disk utility and `ive tried to reformat it but it thinks there is only only 31.5g there to format.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you are in disk utility, Click on the new drive and then click on the Partition Tab. See if there is more than one partition. If Delete what is there and make one full size partition.

That is the only thing I can think of at this hour!

OP
D

dijerydack

there isnt any partitions. It says at the bottom right of the disk utility window Total Capacity: 31.5 gig.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some newer drives have a size limitation jumper for older systems. You did not accidently jumper that did you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.