USB to Midi

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is right place for this question but here goes,
I have an M-Studio keystudio uSB keyboard controller that I use on my iMac with Garage Band, I also have a Roland Sound Canvas 55 which only has standard midi imput & output din sockets.
What I'd like to do is to be able to just use the M-Studio keyboard controller by plugging it directly into the Sound Canvas, ie plug USB into Midi din socket.
IS THERE A cable converter or a unit that I can do this with. main reason is so I don't take full control of computer when others need it as well. (I'm 67 you male,and play pedal steel guitar so I have heaps of unused (old fashion if you like midi gear as well)
Hope some-one will be kind enough to help and have a solution for me, apart from having to buy and old midi style keyboard controller.
Thanks Aub

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, but it doesn't apply to my unit, my M-Adio/ KeyStudio is only very basic, it has a Power Switch Sustain Pedal Jack and a USB Jack,
definitely a cheap version I guess, so I still need help on a USB to Midi adapter
cable or such, as I'm only a learner and getting ancient by the day I don't want to pay an arm & or a leg for one though, nope I'm not a cheapskate,but realize it may be cheaper to try and find an older type midi keyboard.
Help would still be appreciated

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It may not work in this scenario. I do not have experience with these midi devices, but I do with converters. Reading through the description, it only mentions going from midi to USB. Not once does it mention USB to midi. In practically all cases with converters, when the manufacturer fails to note that it is a two way converter, it is a one way converter only.

You'll surely need something similar to this. Just make sure there is some mention of the adapter/converter going in the direction you need. Again, I have no experience with these. After reading a couple others, it could be they are all two way like reviews on this one.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11277

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Amazon.com: M-Audio USB Midisport Uno MIDI Interface: Musical Instruments

That should be just the ticket. There are cheaper places to get it, google around, but that's what you need.

+1

This should work but I've never use a SoundCanvas before...
Keystudio's MIDI Out to Sound Canvas' MIDI IN,
Sound Canvas MIDI Out with MIDI to USB cable to USB In on Mac.

Don't mind the MC-303 and the red lines in the picture. Also replace the MIDI Interface for your SoundCanvas module...
setup1.jpg

And remember... MIDI is not an audio signal but a computer encoded signal. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just to answer Bob. It does go both ways. I use one for transferring data between my E Drums and my Powerbook.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks Kev, I know a lot of folks end up buying video cables that won't work because they're one way. Just didn't know if these were more like most other computer data cabling that are all 2 way or not.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys, but what you have mentioned is for connection of Midi Sound Module to & from Mac computer, not as I'm after M-Adio keyboard Studio USB to Midi in Sound Module, it would seen as if there is no such adaptor, it is strange as there must be thousands of midi sound modules out there un-usable, I'm amazed some electronic/computer person has already done it. ( probably have if I knew where to look,eh!)
Thanks again, Aub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Thanks for your help guys, but what you have mentioned is for connection of Midi Sound Module to & from Mac computer, not as I'm after M-Adio keyboard Studio USB to Midi in Sound Module, it would seen as if there is no such adaptor, it is strange as there must be thousands of midi sound modules out there un-usable, I'm amazed some electronic/computer person has already done it. ( probably have if I knew where to look,eh!)
Thanks again, Aub

Not sure what you mean now :(

Are you connecting a keyboard to a Mac or not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.