Change "core" user name?

zeb

Reaction score
I bought a macbook pro from somebody, and I cannot find how to delete their name. I have deleted the user under system preferences but his name is still everywhere. For example "John smith" is under "places" in "computer" and when I try to do things it always says "John smith's computer".

Is there an easy fix for this? Sorry if this is a stupid question
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The home folder is renamed under the Accounts preferences -  menu > System Preferences

THe users computer bit can be renamed under the Sharing preferences icon

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
I changed all that...
but if I go to macintosh hd>users>john smith is still there...and it wont let me know delete it. Its also the only name under users...I can't rename it (its grayed out). Under the user is apps, desktop, documents, downloads, etc.

Sorry...and thanks for the help so far!

Reaction score
When you buy a used computer it's always best to reformat the drive and reinstall the system. You never know what the previous user has on there.
You did get the install disks with the computer right? If not contact the seller about them.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Sharing - Change the computer name there.

System Preferences - Accounts - Add a new account with your name and give it admin privileges. Log out and log into the new account. Head back into Accounts preferences and delete the John Smith account. This will delete the account and all data in that user account.

It is better to do a clean install as has been suggested.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Ya, I do need to do a clean install...
The seller has been telling me for weeks he'll get me the discs...but never does. Not sure what to do. Don't know if I can buy new ones or what...
Thanks guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.