Connectivity Problems

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to help out a friend with his Macbook Pro.

I am trying to get his computer to connect to the internet via ethernet. I have successfully connected two other laptops, a dell and macbook from the same location with no issues. It is set up to connect automatically and under diagnostics it shows ethernet, network settings and ISP are connected (green light). The internet and server however fail to connect. I have restarted the computer with the ethernet cable plugged and unplugged multiple times. I have manually assigned IP addresses that should work and work with other computers. (I know i cant have two of the same IP addresses on the same server, but ensure that i remove the comp from the network before putting in the same IP elsewhere.) Airport mode is switched off.

What has me most confused it that it get assigned an IP address, see the network, and shows the correct domain but still will not connect.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the computer? Or is there a setting that I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried configure IPv4 using DHCP ?
Also if he has any AV software disable it and the firewall if enabled.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply.

Yea i have tried configuring the IPv4 using DHCP. The firewall is disabled and he is not running any anti-virus software. Its just strange it wont connect. I get the same IP address everytime I reconfigure which I think its supposed to do.

IP address: 10.19.23.110
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router:10.19.23.1
DNS:8.8.8.8
Domain: Enforcer.public

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Will it connect wireless ?
will it connect at a different location ?
Go to System preferences >Network >Assist Me >Diagnostics then follow the path it should suggest a fix.

OP
S
Reaction score
osxx

We dont have wireless here (currently on a ship), and no i cannot get it to connect to different locations around the boat that work with other computers.

The diagnostics keeps telling me to restart my server but I cannot do this because I will shut down connections to the entire ship. Also, I know its not a problem with the network because every other computer I plug in connects at that location. This is a frustrating one. ha. But I do appreciate the help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Do the network settings such as Subnet, Router, DNS and Domain match what you see on the Macbook when it connects to the network?

OP
S
Reaction score
Baggs thanks for the reply

Yes I can take the a different macbook and connect it, then I can try the same exact settings (ip, subnet, router, dns) on the one that is giving me trouble and it will not connect. It can see the network, just wont give me internet access. I am about to float test this thing. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My guess is that the Airport card in that particular machine may have a problem. It would explain all of this. Try with another wireless network when you have the opportunity, but I wouldn't be surprised if the issue persists You might want to have it looked at by Apple when you have a chance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.