System resets automatically?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook, OS X 10.4.11, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo.

Yesterday, all of a sudden my laptop seems to reset. My desktop flickers and then all files are out of place, the colors have changed etc. When I open an application, all my settings are GONE. This concerns all of my mails, firefox (no more bookmarks), all of my pictures in iPhoto are gone, files that I was downloading with Vuze have disappeared, my adress book... Everything is as if I've just bought a new computer. iTunes seems to be OK though, all of my music is still there. And all data (word documents etc) are still on my hard drive.

Can anyone help me to retrieve my former settings and data?

Another problem I want to ask about : I have all my pictures copied in a file on my hard drive. But all in a small size. Does anyone know how I stop this from happening automatically?

I should mention that I don't have many computer skills, and don't speak much jargon, so it would be nice to answer in dummy language. :)

I hope someone can help because I'm dying here. :-/

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Did you at any time rename your User folder (Hard disk > Users > Yourname)

OP
L
Reaction score
No, I didn't, although I think the name is different than what I had chosen. Shall I try different user names?

OP
L
Reaction score
OK, I changed my user name and did a restart. Now the computer has the starter settings, as it did yesterday. Now even my desk top is empty. The username that I have just created is in the users folder, with all the data there. But no other, former, user name.

How do I make sure that the computer starts with the newly created user settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I wasn't advising you to start adding User folders to the Users directory.

You should control Users by using the menu > System Preferences > Accounts

How many Users have you now got in the Accounts preference pane?
And do you know which User has your data in it.

You can also control login options for users through the Accounts preferences

OP
L
Reaction score
There's only one account in the account preferences pane, the one with the blank settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.