Solid state drive

Reaction score
Hi All, new here and have just upgraded my studio to Pro Tools. I have a 3.2 GHZ 12 GB memory Mac Pro Quad system with 1 TB drive. I have been looking at solid state drives.

My question is would it be best to upgrade to solid state and move all my applications and operating system to that and record on the current 1 TB drive or use the SSD to record to keeping the apps on the current drive?

Sorry if this seems a simple question but I have been using a different DAW system for 10 years and just trying to make sure I maximize the power of the system. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a 240gb OWC SSD in my Mac Pro, and only use it for the home location, as well as the main apps. All the rest of the data, like documents, iTunes media, and photos, go to the second hdd.
I like to have speed when accessing the main OSX apps, but for everything else, speed is not a huge priority for me because I use them rarely once saved. I'm not sure if you will notice a difference in speed as you record, but accessing the recording will be faster. I would probably want the recording to be accessed as quickly as possible. You could move OSX to the SSD, keep the recordings on the SSD, and move the other apps and libraries to the HDD if they are not as important.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.