Humming Headphone Jack (Please Help)

G

Gadgetron

Good Morning,
Last week I picked up a 2.0ghz black Macbook (with apple installed 1gig memory 512 x2) at the apple store.
So after less than a week I have a problem. Today I started up the macbook, after checking my email and doing a few more things, I decided to listen to some music.
I plugged my headphones into the jack on the Macbook and to my suprise there is an audible "humming" coming through my headphones.
I took the headphones out and plugged them into my ipod (no humming in the headphones).
So my question is, is my macbook busted? is this a known issue?
This is the first time its happened in the 6 days! I have had this Macbook.
Any suggestions? or shoudl I just go to the store tonight, and have it sent out for repair...sigh.
Thank you for your time.
~/.Chris

Reaction score
They all do that. So do desktops and other laptops. Unless you have a very high end sound card, it won't be totally black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't have that in my powerbook.. or in any of my other computers... it could be a short in your laptops head phone jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor
take it to your apple store

Reaction score
Gadgetron said:
I plugged my headphones into the jack on the Macbook and to my suprise there is an audible "humming" coming through my headphones.

Don't put up with it.....it's a stereo output jack and should be no different from the one on your iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Make sure you haven't switched some setting in the audio/midi setup. (Applicatios->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup)

I just listened with my extremely sensitive Shure headphones and my macbook is silent. It is affected by plugging in firewire devices though.

But if it persists, take it in.

OP
P

pachieh

Aptmunich said:
Make sure you haven't switched some setting in the audio/midi setup. (Applicatios->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup)

I just listened with my extremely sensitive Shure headphones and my macbook is silent. It is affected by plugging in firewire devices though.

But if it persists, take it in.

I am also having the same problem. I'm using Shure e4c headphones on my Macbook. One thing I noticed though was that when I touch the laptop anywhere next to the trackpad, the sound goes away. It is like the actual laptop chassis is vibrating and sending the feedback through the headphone port. It is very odd. When I touch the laptop and drag my finger, it feels kind of funny like the surface isn't exactly smooth. It is hard to explain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.