• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What the heck is this planking deal ??? We have had a death already :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What are these people thinking. IF you dont know what it is Planking ~ Wiki!!!!!!!!

YouTube.

This is a bizarre act and people are getting more daring. 1 man did it on a Police Car and now they are charging him with a criminal act.
What bought me to start this thread is bc i just saw on the news this morning that we have already had 1 death, from a young bloke doing it on a 7th story balcony with his mate taking the picture and he fell to the carpark below. NewYorkPost ~ Australian man plunges to his death planking.
The Age ~ Planking death-Man plunges from balcony

Now come on, am i the only one that thinks this isnt right ?? Yes i admit some look funny but im not sure of the mentality of people doing this ??
I know what people are trying to achieve but to me it just doesnt seem right.
Peoples thoughts ??
Before the death and after. Has your opinion changed.
Mine did :(

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ugh... what next? I mean, honestly... it's hard for me to even have sympathy. We've all been familiar with how gravity works, pretty much since we left the womb.

To be quite honest, the first thought that came to mind when I read the article is one of my co-workers' favorite phrases "The stupid shall be punished".

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes totally agree.
From the local news they had been doing it all the way home from a club, so they where drunk as a skunk.
Doesnt really help with your balance when your that paralytic either.

55 000 fans you gotta wonder how many more deaths it will take until the police jump in and ban the whole kit and caboodle. Not long i wouldnt think. They are saying it could happen in the future, but as i said probably not until another death.

Sad

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
What's there to ban? You can't ban stupidity - and I don't necessarily mean that in an overly judgmental way. Goodness knows I can look back on my drunken 20's and be glad that I didn't get seriously hurt with some of the stupid stunts I pulled. The good news is - perhaps they'll get an honorable mention in the Darwin awards this year.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's there to ban? You can't ban stupidity - and I don't necessarily mean that in an overly judgmental way.

No they cant, but they can make it a criminal offence doing it in public, or charge them with public annoyance. Something has to be done.

Goodness knows I can look back on my drunken 20's and be glad that I didn't get seriously hurt with some of the stupid stunts I pulled.

Unfortunately i did :( Stupid ?? Not so sure as i had done the climb many times before.
2nd story balcony climb one early morning to my girls place. Up the drain pipe and on the last grab i miss judged the ledge and slid back down landing on 1 hand and broke the little bone in my wrist (Scaphoid). I was over the limit but worst thing was they had to plaster both wrists bc the scaphoid break isnt detectable in initial scans. You need to wait 2 weeks until calcium builds up in the repair process. Then they BERAK it again to heal it straight :shakes head:
Try doing number 2's when your like that . . . . Ahhh those Army days lol

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
No they cant, but they can make it a criminal offence doing it in public, or charge them with public annoyance. Something has to be done.

Unfortunately i did :( Stupid ?? Not so sure as i had done the climb many times before.
2nd story balcony climb one early morning to my girls place. Up the drain pipe and on the last grab i miss judged the ledge and slid back down landing on 1 hand and broke the little bone in my wrist (Scaphoid). I was over the limit but worst thing was they had to plaster both wrists bc the scaphoid break isnt detectable in initial scans. You need to wait 2 weeks until calcium builds up in the repair process. Then they BERAK it again to heal it straight :shakes head:
Try doing number 2's when your like that . . . . Ahhh those Army days lol

LOL - we should start another thread for stupid 20's drunk stunts - but somehow that would come back to be used against us. Sufficed to say - I have very similar stories - and believe it or not - even a Sacphoid story - free climbing a second floor deck showing off while hammered. The balluster came right off in my hand and down I went. It was until I woke up the next day (after continuing on with the night's festivities of course) with a massively swollen wrist that it was apparent that I needed to visit the Dr. :|

I don't see the point in banning something as simple as 'planking' - which ultimately seems to be lying someplace unusual. Tough law to get behind - and again - you just can't ban people making bad decisions. At some point - that's on the person.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL - we should start another thread for stupid 20's drunk stunts - but somehow that would come back to be used against us. Sufficed to say - I have very similar stories - and believe it or not - even a Sacphoid story - free climbing a second floor deck showing off while hammered. The balluster came right off in my hand and down I went. It was until I woke up the next day (after continuing on with the night's festivities of course) with a massively swollen wrist that it was apparent that I needed to visit the Dr. :|

See we both where on the same track ;P lol

I don't see the point in banning something as simple as 'planking' - which ultimately seems to be lying someplace unusual. Tough law to get behind - and again - you just can't ban people making bad decisions. At some point - that's on the person.

Now i have had my morning coffee and caffeine has kicked in and have woken up and warmed up, i have settled and tend to agree. They wont be able to really enforce much. Still doesnt change the fact that it is stupidity and not that smart

Must be me ageing though as it has upset me in a way that someone died from something so stupid. . . . .

Anyways work is a calling
Enjoy your evening mate.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Must be me ageing though as it has upset me in a way that someone died from something so stupid. . . . .

Anyways work is a calling
Enjoy your evening mate.

Must be rarer down there than it is up here then :\

I'm sitting here thinking - 'work'? I forget how far ahead you guys are. I'm sitting in on an Aussie defense briefing tomorrow afternoon down in Tampa, FL - I wonder how jet lagged those guys must feel? Cheers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow I must be living under a rock because I've never seen that before. I like the person that was planking on the rail road tracks. That's really smart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wow.. the sun must be frying people's brains by the dumb load! I can think of a word that rhymes with planker which would suit these people much better.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Bunch of Plankers.

What a seriously dumb thing to even want to do, let alone actually participate in. These people need a hobby or something (though clearly one that involves minimal brain power)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bunch of Plankers.

What a seriously dumb thing to even want to do, let alone actually participate in. These people need a hobby or something (though clearly one that involves minimal brain power)

Well its happened again. With all this media hammering the plankers a young bloke planked on his mates MOVING car *** is wrong with these people. He is in a coma and his mate got charged with 'dangerous driving' and if mate dies he could get charged with 'manslaughter'
Police are starting to take this seriously now ........ NOW there could be another death :(

Doesnt help when celebrities are doing it as well.

YouTube ~ Planking at the Logies

Sam Newman ~ The Planker 47 Stories up.

Wake up kids please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
My wife and I like to call it Cleaning up the gene pool :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Why? Why is it the governments job to keep people from being stupid if they desire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Why? Why is it the governments job to keep people from being stupid if they desire?

Simply because these idiots can kill someone else in the process. It should definitely be a criminal offense. Besides, if law enforcement gets their funding from tax dollars (like it does here in the States) then the public has a right to have their money working for them in that respect.

Let's say a stupid planker fell off a roof and landed on your mom or dad etc ? Pretty sure you'd not have to ask why after that.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply because these idiots can kill someone else in the process. It should definitely be a criminal offense. Besides, if law enforcement gets their funding from tax dollars (like it does here in the States) then the public has a right to have their money working for them in that respect.

Let's say a stupid planker fell off a roof and landed on your mom or dad etc ? Pretty sure you'd not have to ask why after that.

Doug

By that logic since I can kill someone by driving my car, the use of automobiles should be banned. Lets say a stupid driver lost control and ran over my mom or dad (etc?) they'd go to jail based on the circumstances. This is different why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We do it all the time. ;)

fry.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.