Weird file showed up after installing SL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I upgraded again to snow leopard today. It went smoothly. BUT, there is this file on my desktop called ".ds_store," Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 7.57.09 PM.png I try to delete it, but it comes back! Can someone please help me! If this was on a windows computer, I would have called it a virus because this is all it says,

Edit, it won't let me copy that info for some reason

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Somehow hidden files are being shown on the desktop as every folder in OSX has that file but it's hidden. Do you see any other files like it in other folders?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No. So this is a hidden file you say...time to do some research...thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When I plug say a flash drive into a Windows machine I see all kinds of .DS_Store files that you don't see by default in OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
there is an app called mainmenu.
The version you need to find if you want a free one is 1.7.4
It may take a few attempts to get it, as often when downloading, even though it says that you are getting 1.7.4, it will give you the later version which you have to pay for.
In the app, you can scroll down from the icon in the menu bar to finder/hide hidden files.
I'm not big on using terminal, so I am not sure, but I think either of these should work, but DON'T try it until someone with a better knowledge of using terminal comments on this post.

com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF
killall Finder

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I figured it out. Super dock got reset or something after the upgrade and had the, "show hidden files," was selected. All is good now. Thanks for the lead!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
there is an app called mainmenu.
The version you need to find if you want a free one is 1.7.4
It may take a few attempts to get it, as often when downloading, even though it says that you are getting 1.7.4, it will give you the later version which you have to pay for.
In the app, you can scroll down from the icon in the menu bar to finder/hide hidden files.
I'm not big on using terminal, so I am not sure, but I think either of these should work, but DON'T try it until someone with a better knowledge of using terminal comments on this post.

com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF
killall Finder
You need to use the bottom command, the top set will error out as com.apple.finder isn't a command, but defaults is.. very close though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I have my hidden files shown.
Also, does anyone know how to make a file "hidden" on a Windows machine? Because I have a file in a hidden folder (with a "." at the beginning of the folder name) and the file is hidden the same way, and it is basically all of my passwords. The file is password-protected, so it's not too urgent. Send me a PM if you know please. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
that's a function of the OS... You'd have to change it's permissions/properties on a windows box. No unix perms would ever apply.. and likewise no windows perms will ever apply on anther OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.