Error Detected - Main Menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
My iMac just hasn't been feeling right lately, i had some graphic issues:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51114

and things have been feeling very, very slow. I use main menu regularly and keep everything quite cleaned up. (i think?)
When i went to the genius bar (apple store) about the graphics issue they ran a bunch of tests and everything was fine, apparently. Said I most likely just needed more ram.

But not, I am getting this message when I try to repair disk permissions with main menu

Error detected (-9997) while verifying/repairing permissions disk disk0s2 The Stuff Within

(the stuff within is the name of my HD)

it keeps coming up, so obviously it isnt being repaired. I will call apple care but just seeing if anyone knows what this means.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you try booting from your install disk (by holding down the C key) and running Disk Utility to repair the hard drive?

And if you have it, I would also run DiskWarrior on your Mac. To me, DiskWarrior is a must-have program.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Wow, this ended up being a serious problem.
and how did i live with my extreamly powerful imac being so slow this whole time? i told the guy i had a pinwheel from clicking on applications and he was like "whaaat!" haha.

at first he wanted to blame mainmenu, third party software so scary. but- came to find that i was missing an important file in my 'receipts"
BaseSystem.pkg
so, we copied that from my dad's macbook and put it on mine, tried repairing disk the correct way (utilities>disk utility) but to no avail. came up with some other error message.

anyways, did a buuunch of troubleshooting, restarted in all these crazy ways, tried repairing things using the install disk..
to no avail.

needless to say I am now typing this on the macbook while my poor imac is archiving and reinstaling os x. :( and i have a case number

thank god for applecare :) haha

I'm hopeing that Shapeshifter and Candybar will be in the archive? anyone done this before? Im pretty excited to be starting over acctually. everything will be nice and clean. eeeek... i hope it shows what app's i had though.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Errr...I have no idea what happened to your poor iMac but lots of luck!! :D

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
hhmmm. strange. nothing really seems changed... all my files are where they should be. i guess that is good..

can i delete the "previous systems" folder?

M

MacHeadCase

Look at the contents and make sure there isn't anything vital in there but usually the Archive and Install is pretty good at keeping your stuff and isolating the problematic OS install. If you find nothing of value in that Previous System folder, you can delete it.

Good luck Ambi with the new OS install. Hope it has solved your problems. Oh and about MainMenu, I've used it well over a year and never encountered it deleting files or receipts so don't worry about it, it works fine. It will even warn you if it can't work on an updated OS and if it can't handle the newer OS parts.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
yeah, after we realized i was missing that file he said "oh and here i was blaming main menu" so, its all good.

one problem, after all this iDisk is still stuck on my desktop. it doesnt do anything when i try and eject it.

M

MacHeadCase

That's a bugger. Can you run MainMenu's cleaning cache tasks, the one for System (deep clean) and the one for users?

You'll have to restart after those anyway. See if it happens again. Report back and we'll see where we are after this.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
k ill try that.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
nope. no good. still there. this time when i tried to eject it said applications were using it try quitting and so i quit everthing and eject and nothing.

:( :(

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm. Sounds to me like something in the System itself is hanging on your iDisk and is not letting go...

I remember that there was a previous OS version that did the same thing and I used to shut down with the iDisk still on the desktop 'cause there was no way for me, that I knew of, to eject it. I would have had to go in the Terminal and, well...

Not terribly elegant as a solution but... have you tried quitting Finder and relaunching it? I've looked up quit Finder at MacUpdate.com and I came up with these:

QaLL:

QaLL terminates every running applications at once. I can also relaunch every applications which are terminated by QaLL with 1 button. Of course you can specify apps you don't want to terminate.

Mac OS X is able to run many apps in parallel, but sometimes, especially when you play a game or run a big application, the processing speed can be slowed down by of other apps. So you should use QaLL to clean up needless processes and feel comfortable to run big apps. After you quit the big application, you can launch all the smaller apps again by clicking 1 button and get back to your work again quickly and easily.

My thinking is that you could select Finder from the list, quit it then relaunch it. I haven't seen screenshots so really don't know what it looks like but the dev says you can do just that. MacUpdate webpage.

And the second one that I think might come in handy is Clean the Finder Preferences 1.3:

This utility can help if your Finder is behaving strangely.
Also, it can help if your Desktop files lose their placement after a restart.
It's optional if you want to delete the "com.apple.sidebarlists.plist" file.
After running "Clean the Finder Preferences", restarting your Mac is recommended.
This application deletes the following files:
-the "com.apple.finder.plist" file
-the Desktop ".DS_Store" and your Home folder ".DS_Store" invisible files
-optional - deletes the "com.apple.sidebarlists.plist" file (Sidebar folders)
The following preferences should be reset:
-from the View menu select "Show View Options" (Command J) to reset your folder views
-from the Finder menu select "Preferences" (Command ,)

MacUpdate webpage.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
wow, i thought for sure this time it'd work. i tried multiple combinations and orders of using both apps and nothing. Well, now iDisk is also in the sidebar. yay.

***! aahhhhhh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.