• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

no sound in quicktime, help with codecs

Reaction score
All of a sudden movies in quicktime have no sound. I want to burn the movie to DVD so I want to make sure it works in qt.

After browsing the boards I came across a post that said someone had too many codecs and needed to delete some. These are the codecs in my quicktime library. I don't want to delete anything without asking first, so if you could please help me out with what I can delete and what to keep I'd appreciate it.

Also if you think there is a codec missing or another reason that the sound is not working, please let me know.

MacHD>Library>Quicktime>

A52Codec
AC3Codec
AC3Codec(another one)
AC3MovieImport
AvilImporterIntel(im guessing i can delete this one since im on ppc)
DivXDecoder
DivXEncoder
Flip4MacWMVAdvanced
Flip4MacWMVExport
Flip4MacWMVImport
FLV
Perian
XviD_Codec alpha
XviD_Codec-r58(another intel)
XviDDelegate

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.