Cannot Install Mac OS X

N

nebchick

I have a G3 blue and white . . . had OS 9 and am trying to upgrade to OS X.
Every time I try to install from the CD, the computer hangs after getting to a certain point - same point every time. I had given up a long time ago, and recently tried again. I was told to check firmware, which is fine. I can copy all contents of the CD, so I don't think that's the problem. I did apparently a dumb thing . . . I copied the cd to the hard drive, switched startup disks to that folder to try to install from there instead of the cd since it stops. After starting up, the computer starts from that folder and acts like it's going to install, but gets hung up on the screen where you select your region. I though there was a certain key combo to hold as the computer starts up to get it to start from the HD again, but can't get it to do anything. How do I get the stupid thing to startup on 9 again? and any suggestions as to how to get OS X installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Holding the option key at startup will allowing selecting a startup disk (on some computers)

If that doesn't work startup from an OS 9 install cd. Then you can reset your startup system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
What version of OS X are you trying to install?

OP
N

nebchick

Tried the option key . . . doesn't work. I guess my next try is to boot from the cd. Hold down the c key while booting up?

I can't remember what version of OSX it is . . . I bought it like two years ago. I think 10.1. I'm on 9.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a similar problem on my B&W 350 with 10.1. ( I believe that it was 10.1)

My problem was with the third party graphic card that I had installed. I had to remove that card to get OS X to install. Once it was installed I was able to reinstall the graphic card. Has there been any changes/additions to the hardware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, hold down the "c" key to startup from a cd.
You might as well zap the pram. Hold down the apple + option + p + r keys while you start up… keep holding the keys down until the computer chimes the third time. Apple instructions indicate 2 chimes…others swear 5 chimes…keep doing it until you feel warm and fuzzy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.