iMac G5 Repair Extension program

Reaction score
Last summer, I had a 17" iMac G5 (pre-iSight) repaired (for free, obviously) under Apple's iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues.

iMac simply died one day. I brought it in to my local Apple Authorized Service Provider, they replaced the logic board and power supply, and I had it back in less than 48 hours. Painless.

I have a friend who bought the same make/model iMac and his just died as well (same symptoms). HOWEVER, the part of the stand that has the serial number busted off some time ago and he does not have it. So, when he took it into the AASP, they wouldn't touch it because they could not locate the serial number.

Now, he DOES have his original invoice with order number, part number, etc from purchasing this iMac from Apple (so, it's not like he's got a hot/stolen computer...he's got proof of purchase).

These iMac's are still EXCELLENT machines (his display is still PERFECT)...I'd hate to see this system go unrepaired. Anyone have a suggested course of action to take with Apple??

[ this system is most definitely covered by the repair extension program and is displaying the classic symptoms ]

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, iMav.

The serial number is written in a few places. One your friend can't access now obviously is in the About This Mac -> More info... window.

If he/she kept his packaging, the serial number was on some of the plastic bags that were used to protect the components from scratches and I think it's also on the box.

If he/she has registered the iMac Apple should have the info in a database somewhere. Even more so if your friend bought AppleCare: you have to give them your serial number when you register with AppleCare.

M

MacHeadCase

Yes that's why I gave you that link but I wasn't sure if it is just when the logic board has been replaced so the owner can jot down the new serial number somewhere.

OP
iMav
Reaction score
UPDATE!

He was able to find the serial inside as WELL as on the original box (which he failed to mention he still had).

He has verified that his system qualifies for the repair extension program and is well on his way to getting his power supply and logic board replaced for free. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.