pls explain memory management

Reaction score
can someone pls explain the memory management system 10.4 uses for ram. i understand free and active what are the rest and how do they affect my system. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I hope this answers your question. I got this from iStat's web site.

Wired memory
This is memory that applications or the system needs immediate access to, so it can’t be cached to disk. It will vary depending on what applications you’re using.

Active memory
This is memory that is actively being used.

Inactive memory
This memory is no longer being used and has been cached to disk. It’ll remain in RAM until another application needs the space.

Free memory
This memory is not being used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Your currently active processes/applications occupy the RAM memory. Whenever an application becomes inactive or run in the background, data related to the this process will be written to the swap memory. swap memory is a location in your HDD and Read/Write process is way slower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.