Macbook 4GB or Macbook Pro 2GB?

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm from Malaysia and will be getting my first mac soon but I can't quite decide due to my budget. I'm thinking of either the macbook with 4gb ram or macbook pro with 2gb ram. The difference is about RM400(malaysia currency) so it's about $110.

I'll be working a lot with Photoshop cs4, dreamweaver for html editing and maybe adobe premiere elements for video editing.

What I would like to know is whether there will be a significant difference, performance wise?

Do suggest if you have other opinions, because I have no computer hardware knowledge. :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD
running graphic intensive programs like that would be better off with 4gb of ram. Have you thought about getting the pro and upgrading the ram yourself instead of having apple do it? You could also shop the classifieds here or try a refurbed from apples website which will lower your costs if you are looking to stay within a certain budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Go with a MacBook Pro with 2 GB... then upgrade the RAM later.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your replies guys. Why didn't I thought of upgrading later. Thanks for the opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Hiya :) I've recently had to make this decision myself, too.

I went to the Apple store and took one look at the machines side by side and knew I had to have the Macbook Pro instead. It's the screen that does it for me. Everyone says it's very reflective/glossy, I don't find it a problem myself, but the reason the screen did it for me as it were is because the colours and the brightness on the MBP is just so much better, it made the price difference worth it.

I'll admit, I notice the extra 2GB missing on this machine, compared to my iMac with 4GB. However, it would've been silly to miss out on the higher all round specs for the sake of some memory that'll cost me £50 to upgrade at a later date :)

The manual that comes with the machine tells you how to upgrade the memory (and hard drive if you want, I'll probably do that too, at a later date).

I have a problem with shopping. I'm a bit of an addict; I really like buying new things. So getting this base model now gives me a couple of things I can do to improve it later, still keeping my buying addiction satisfied to a tame level (rather than going out buying more computers, for example, ahem).

So yes - in your shoes I would go for the MBP :)

Reaction score
This thread has got me thinking too. I was originally going to get the 13" Pro with 2.53Ghz and 4GB RAM until I realized that I didn't need all that power and probably won't for years. I always thought it'd be good to get high specs now because they'll last for years but I won't need that much power anytime soon and most things will run well on 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo for quite some time. I wonder how much faster 1066Mhz front-side bus is than 667Mhz? If it's a lot faster then 2.26Ghz will do me good for a while. Wow, I'm saving at least $300 because of this decision. Thanks OP.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, the 2.5GHz certainly looks better. But it cost $300 more. I'm a little concerned whether the 21% faster performance is worth that $300.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Pro, 2.33GHz MacBook Pro, 20 inch ACD, a few cows...
I think you should upgrade later and get the MacBook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.