MacBook Pro Very Slow Boot

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm using running a MacBook Pro 7,1 and have never had a problem until recently when I started experiencing really slow boot ups. When I turn on the mac, it will be on the apple screen with the spinning wheel for about 3-4 minutes, then a blue screen for about 1-2 minutes (my cursor is present and i can move it around), then it goes to my desktop background picture with no icons or menu bars or anything for about 4-5 minutes, then starting with the menu bars everything starts to appear such as icons and the dock. The total boot time from on button to finish is usually 10-12 minutes. After this, the mac seems to run perfectly normal. This problem occurred out of nowhere. It is pretty frustrating as I have to turn on the computer and entertain myself for 10 minutes while I wait for it to boot up.

After a lot of searching of other forums and research, I have come to see that a lot of other people have the same problem, but not to the extent in which my computer has experienced. I have tried the usual such as clearing caches, booting from install disk and repairing/verifying disk permissions, reset pram/smc, delete duplicate fonts, tried onyx. I'm not sure what to do next.

The long boot time doesn't affect the ability of the computer itself, but is just annoying and frustrating. If anyone has any input or has experienced the same, i would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please read and try some of the suggestions in the "Beachballs" link in my signature.

If nothing there works...how full is your hard drive (gigabytes used vs. gigabytes free)...and lastly...there is the possibility that the HD is failing.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks, i will try some of these suggestions and post the outcomes.

I currently have 139gb free out of 250gb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.