New iMac knocking router out

Reaction score
I just purchased a new iMac 21.5 late last month and since the day I set it up, I've been having issues with the wireless connection. I've seen multiple posts here on similar issues, but no consistent solution.

My issue is that the iMac will connect to the network (full strength) and will work for 5 or 10 minutes, then begin to get progressively slower loading pages. At some point, it ends up completely taking out the router and or cable modem, so no other devices can connect to the internet without resetting the router and modem. I have multiple other devices that connect to the network seamlessly, including a MacBook and 3 Windows machines, all of which have connected in the same spot... so its not a location issue. My router is a Netgear WGT624, which again works fine with all other devices including visitors who connect from time to time.

I've tried a host of things (manual IP, channel change on the router, upgrade software, etc.) but nothing seems to resolve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Connecting via ethernet isn't an option.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
I had a similar issue not long ago. My DSL modem would completely disconnect if I was downloading something at my full bandwidth. What I did was switch my modem to a new Netgear modem/gateway/router. That completely solved the problem. But your situation is tricky since you said your other devices work fine. Does the connection on the Mac drop only via a wireless connection or through a physical connection also?

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, hard wired I'm fine. It's definitely a wireless issue and isolated to this NEW iMac. The real weird part is that it can be totally random where I've had the connection working fine for an hour, no issues and good fast response, then all of a sudden its gets slow and next thing the internet connection is dropped from the network (all machines). The other times I notice immediate issues is when the unit is fired up from sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, I know it sounds strange but Macs seem to like Channel 11 best, so try setting your router to that channel - worked for me with wireless connection issues

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
K
Reaction score
started there, tried 6 then 9... all to no avail.

Totally baffled by this whole thing.

:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.