Sleep Mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
How do i set it that when i clode my macbook it goes in to sleep mode?

How do i tell when it is in sleep mode?

Can i just put it in sleep mode all the time when i have finished using my mac instead of turning it off?

How much battery does it use while in sleep mode?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it should do it by default.

the white light on the front will slowly pulse.

yes.

very little.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 MacBook Pro
I think it automaticly goes in sleep mode when you close it. The little light in the front left corner will dim when in sleep mode.

I put mine in sleep and wake it up a day later and havent used much battery at all. But some one more experianced will have to chime in.

R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I almost never put my machines off. Sleep mode is excellent as you can resume right from where you left off. and it pops up instantly.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
put my macbook to sleep with 98% battery and left it all night. i woke up and it has 89% battery. is this the same sort of drainage that you all get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I lose about 10% a day...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac
how often should i shut down the imac? it seems wierd to leave it in sleep everytime.. im never away from the comp longer than a day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I go for upto a month and a half sometimes without shutting down. Only sometimes when I really really need to use bootcamp, I restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have also discovered that pretty much any magnetic source (such as my glasses which have magnets on the bridge for the "clip-on" sunglasses) brought near the left edge of the keyboard will put it to sleep. The magnet on the left screen edge which allows the remote to be stuck there triggers the sleep mode, and so do my glasses as I inadvertently discovered one day ;D

I consider the pulsating light to be my Macbook "breathing".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't play around with magnets since that macbook has got a hard drive in there... Alter some 1s and 0s and the whole thing will come tumbling down...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If his glasses had magnets powerful enough to do that, his heart would probably have stopped by now... or he'd have knives and forks stuck to his face.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yh, I loose about 10% a day if I leave it on sleep mode. I think about that much is normal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
so putting it to sleep looses about 10% over night.
how much is lost if you shut it down over night??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Don't play around with magnets since that macbook has got a hard drive in there... Alter some 1s and 0s and the whole thing will come tumbling down...

Have you ever disassembled a broken hard drive? They've got magnets in there to control the seek arm that when you extract them from the drive are powerful enough to literally crush your finger if you get it in between two of them. I use them to put heavy stuff on my fridge that I really, really, really need to stay on the door. ;D

Now my spectacles have magnets that allow me to stick my glasses (and the clip-ons) to my whiteboard or some other adjacent convenient vertical ferrous surface, but I'm pretty sure the occassional brush with them isn't going to do more to my Macbook than put it to sleep.

But yeah, I like the notion of metal objects flying toward my face like something out of a Tex Avery cartoon :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
personally i shut off my macbook every night and turn it on every morning, putting it to sleep when it's not in use. i find it starts to run a little slow always just putting it into sleep. plus.. at night.. that little light is very bright.. :p

but not only does it default to sleeping when you shut it, but you need a third party app to stop it from doing this. if you ever want to, insomniaX is a good program to check out.

and as for the magnets. all computers now adays are pretty much safe for using average magnets around them. although.. putting one of those HDD magnets near an on HDD... can be... interesting:p just make sure it's a HDD you don't plan on keeping...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.