Problems with eMac

Y

y2kt

I just got an eMac off ebay. When I plugged it in and turned it on to check that it worked. The first time I turned it on, it turned on, but without anything displaying on the monitor, as if the monitor remained turned off. I then turned it off and turned it on again, and this time it turned on, and turned itself off straight away, almost instantly after it turned on. I then tried to turn it on again and now nothing happens when I press the power button. Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Sounds to me like a bad connection. Maybe something got loose in transit. I would open it up and see if there is anything that might be unplugged (or worse broken).

Also, try a different power cord.

OP
Y

y2kt

Ok, I took a look inside, and nothing appears to be broke, there is no obvious damage from looking at it. I also tried another power cord, but no luck.

One thing I have noticed is that when I have left it for a while, then try and turn it on, it will begin to turn on, then turn itself off, on the first time I try after leaving it. But after that it does not turn on at all and nothing happens when I press the power button.

When it actually attempts to turn on (on the first try) there is like a flash on the right hand side of the machine (if you are facing the screen). It is kind of like a flickering light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I'm no electrician, but a "flash" seems bad. Hopefully, someone on the forum with knowledge in this area will give you some direction.

Good luck.

OP
B

Badger

You don't mention the eMac model but the first generation eMacs (700 & 800 mhz) were notorious for CRT problems usually caused by an analog board failure. You should contact the seller.

OP
Y

y2kt

Oh, sorry, It's a G4 (1.25Ghz G4, 1GB RAM, 40GB, Tiger). I'm going to contact the seller, but I doubt he will be willing to give much help, and if it is something which could be fixed I would rather get it fixed myself. But I dunno.

OP
Y

y2kt

I've found out that it is the CRT that is broke.

It would be hard to replace this, right?

OP
B

Badger

Ouch! Outside of the issue of finding the parts that's probably the most complicated repair to do.

OP
Y

y2kt

Meh. I'm going to see if I can get any money back from the seller, but if not I'll just forget about it. I'm going to get a mac mini in a few weeks anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.