220 volts make Macbook Pro Vibrate

Reaction score
I'm using a USA Macbook Pro in China and noticed that when I plug in the power which is 220 volts the laptop vibrates. I do not feel this vibration while I use my laptop in the USA which uses 110 volts. I've also had problems with my USA hard drives vibrating and even Final Cut Pro being very unstable while using it in China. I was wondering whether this vibration is normal and whether it could possibly harm my laptop. Any info would be much appreciated!

Alexander

Reaction score
your ac adaptor is rated for 110-220v AC, i've used laptops over seas before specifically in Vietnam, its fine, but the power block does get really hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm using a USA Macbook Pro in China and noticed that when I plug in the power which is 220 volts the laptop vibrates. I do not feel this vibration while I use my laptop in the USA which uses 110 volts. I've also had problems with my USA hard drives vibrating and even Final Cut Pro being very unstable while using it in China. I was wondering whether this vibration is normal and whether it could possibly harm my laptop. Any info would be much appreciated!

Alexander

What a coincidence. I had this same problem last week at my mother in-law's house. I'm in Hungary right now so also on 220v with my MacBook Pro. At this moment, we are staying in another place and I've got it plugged in. I can feel the vibration ever so slightly, but not nearly as much as it was at her house.

Also, I can only ever feel it when I rub or swoosh my hand or fingers on top of the palm rests or the aluminum edges of the screen or speakers. Never when my palms or hands are just resting on it. Weird for sure.

Now, I'm no electrician or anything, but IMHO it would seem that it could be the fault of shoddy wiring or an unstable flow of electricity. I guess that an electrician would have to weigh in here for confirmation though.

I just hope this isn't going to cause any long term side effects/damage.

Doug

OP
H
Reaction score
I just returned home, which is a much newer building and I don't feel the vibration anymore. I think I should get the circuits checked at my workplace. I'm actually kinda relieved to here that I'm not the only person who experienced this issue. I appreciate all the helpful info!

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem in my livingroom, but when I plug in in my bedroom it's gone.
It definitely has something to do with the socket, not being properly grounded.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
That sounds dangerous.

Reaction score
It is actually... isn't it great...living on the edge;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Here's another observation. My wife and I just moved into a new apartment on the Buda side of Budapest. The building is relatively new (about 4 years) and so I figured that the wiring would be up to the latest code/spec (whatever that may be here). I just bought myself a power strip/surge protector, which I now have my MBP, external HD and small speakers plugged into(and something else I can't remember).

Here's the thing. When it's JUST the MBP plugged in, it doesn't vibrate. But as soon as I plug in one of the external hard drives, there it goes again... The other thing is that before I left New York, I bought a bunch of grounded adapters which fit my plugs, so everything should be grounded, right ?

I haven't noticed any side effects thankfully (not even the power brick gets that hot), so I'm hoping it stays that way.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.