iMac migration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,
After a long wait I'm about to purchase a new iMac, but am unsure how I'll be able to go about migrating apps, documents etc from my ageing iMac PowerPC G4, which has an Ethernet and a couple of FireWire 400 ports.

I'm mindful that the new machines don't have FireWire ports, so do I need to purchase a specific ethernet cable?

And once the migration process is complete will the apps, files etc be on both machines, ie still be on the old G4?

Many thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be aware that any PowerPC applications will not run on the new iMac as Rosetta is no longer supported. Also some software including Office 2004, and earlier, will not load. Depends what you are going to do with the G4. Suggest getting an external hard drive that has USB3 and FW connections and clone the G4 drive via FW and then hook up to USB3 when the new iMac arrives and use Migration Assistant.

The external drive can then be erased and formatted and used as an external Time Machine/Clone backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.